18v direct vs charge pump

ichilton
Hi,

I'm building a big (30 channel) true bypass switch box and am going to include power in it, so I can wire each pedal's power back to it as well as the send/return signal cables.

The plan is to use an old an old laptop power supply, of which i've got a few around, and then some 7809 regulators to bring the voltage down. I was thinking i'd have a few 7809's, each powering a few sockets.

Some overdrives i'll want to run at 18v.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages between using a say 12v power supply, 7809's to bring it down to 9v and then using an ICL7660SCPA based charge pump for each pedal or two that I want to run at 18v, against running a higher voltage in, say 18v (or even higher and using a 7818 to get 18v) which I can use for 18v pedals and then convert it down to 9v with the 7809's?

I realise there is the cost of the ICL7660SCPA (and resistors/caps to go with it) and it only has a low max current so i'd only be able to chain a few pedals into it, whereas a 7818 will give me about an amp at 18v.....but i'm thinking that going that way will mean:

a) All outputs are at 9v so there is no confusion or accidents - I use a charge pump inline if I need 18v.
b) The 7809's will run cooler since they are only going from say 12v to 9v instead if 18v to 9v.

Anyone done similar?

Thanks!

Ian