1u capacitor question

NuckChorris
Noob question here. So on a lot of these builds I see 1u cap values. Is that .1uf or 1.0uf?

Re: 1u capacitor question

nocentelli
1u = 1 uF = 1 microfarad

.1u = 0.1 uF = 0.1 microfarad = 100n = 100 nanofarad

1u is likely to require either a massive polybox (non-polarised, 5mm spacing), a tiny multilayer ceramic (also np, 5mm), or a polarised or unpolarised electrolytic. Only use a polarised electro if you can see the orientation of the legs on the schematic or layout or can work it out yourself.

Re: 1u capacitor question

NuckChorris
Ok so if a build says 1u then it's 1.0uf and not .1uf? Correct?

Re: 1u capacitor question

Synsound
Yes
Most layouts on this site will never have a cap labeled .1U it will almost always be listed as 100N
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: 1u capacitor question

NuckChorris
Ok. Thanks a lot. That was my main question