1uF Capacitors

ichilton
Tayda don't seem to do mylar film capacitors in 1uF, so they end up quite expensive as you've got to get Tantilum at $0.12, Polybox at $0.35 or Multilayer ceramic at $0.23

Been looking on ebay to see if I can stock up on something cheaper - are these any good? -

100 pcs 1uF 1 uF 50V Radial Mono Monolithic Capacitors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150593581531

Will I notice any difference in sound using those over the Tantilum, Polybox or Multilayer? (if so, which would be preferred for 1uF not specified as electrolytic?)

Thanks,

Ian

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Freppo
I would also like to know..

I always use polybox 1uF caps, although a bit expensive.
It would be nice to get something cheaper that works.

One thing to consider when buying caps is size.
Mylar film gets quite large,
For 82nF and higher I don't like mylar because of that reason.

How about metallized capasitors? Good or bad?
Those are smaller then mylar and cheaper then polybox.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: 1uF Capacitors

ichilton
I notice on the Klon Centaur that the 1uf's have been replaced for electrolytics on the layout here, which are cheaper still.

Will that have an effect on the tone though?

Ian

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Ross
I think multilayers are the best option for 1u caps, as they're really small,really cheap , and sound excellent. I prefer to use multilayers wherever I can, which are most values up to 2.2uf.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

ichilton
Thanks - will they sound different to Tantalum's and Polybox though?

Are the monotithics here the same as multilayer? - they look like multilayer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150593581531

Thanks,

Ian

Re: 1uF Capacitors

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Ross
I haven't noticed a difference between electrolytics and multilayers, and I'm pretty sure monolithic and multilayer are the same thing.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Jon the Art Guy
I've seen it said that tantalum smooths and quiets the sound and decharacterizes it a bit. I dunno, the trade off for huge lifespan and tiny footprint seem a good trade off. I would like to do a tube amp with high voltage tantalums and see if it sounds as good.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Yes they're great caps for stompboxes where space is at a premium.  Some people believe all caps sound the same some believe there are differences, but what I would say is that I've never heard any sort of difference which made one cap sound bad and another sound great, any difference is subtle at best and really nothing to worry about.  I've got lots of multilayer caps and will happily use them in place of poly without any concerns.  The only cap type that I am cautious of using in some effects is the cheapy ceramics which are noisy, often microphonic and sound grittier to me which may be great for a fuzz pedal, but may not be the perfect choice for clean effects like delay and modulation pedals.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

ichilton
Thanks!

By cheapy, do you mean ceramic disc?

What do you use for the likes of 10pf, 22pf, 100pf etc? - as the likes of Tayda only do ceramic disc in those values....

Ian

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Yeah the ceramic disc type.   I've got sets of multilayer ceramic in all the pF values, check out eBay you'll find them easily, in fact the seller that you linked for the 1u caps sells pF values.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

PStevenson
there is no difference in sound - capacitance is capacitance, I think people only hear a difference when they've dropped £5 on one capacitor.

ceramics can be microphonic if they are damaged.

when it comes to VHF stuff capacitor types can make a difference in the effectiveness of a device but in anything to do with guitars you just need the right value
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: 1uF Capacitors

Although I agree with you Paul and that it isn't something to worry about, capacitance may just be capacitance but that isn't the only characteristic that a capacitor imparts on a circuit.

Dielectric absorption, Q, ESR, the piezoelectric effect, leakage, inherent non-linearities and distortions, and changes to value due to frequency, age and temperature all all characteristics that are measureable and even shown in the datasheets of many brands of capacitor.  Whilst I still don't believe that these make one type the holy grail, it certainly suggests that something as imperfect as a capacitor does more than just add capacitance to the mix.

But I definitely do think that if someone wants to hear a dramatic difference in their effects then they should think about changes to cap value rather than type.

Re: 1uF Capacitors

peavey_xxl
I just got my 50 piece set of dipped caps from this seller you listed.  In that value!!

Re: 1uF Capacitors

PStevenson

of course there is all that you're right, but none of that really matters in low frequency applications like a pedal after all no one plays in the MHz bandwidth
but you're right with the imperfections - people just need to get the best quality NEW type they can and their project will be one that lasts a long time.

I just find it is best for things like piezo-electric, tribo-electro, Q, ESR and so on should be kept well away from pedal builders until they understand how and when they matter and also how and why it won't make them sound like the 1970s

I know it seems a little harsh for me to say that but I've seen many good friends blows wads of money on stuff like this because they think they have to. so I think it's best if people really into electronics to discover these things on their own rather than bombarding them with all the true natures of components.

so do as Mark says - change the value if you want to change the sound not the type
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts