2 Circuits One Box (Cornish Buffer into Emerson Em-Drive)

2 Circuits One Box (Cornish Buffer into Emerson Em-Drive)

Jovi Bon Kenobi
Hello Everyone

First off, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jesse. I am a Chef and I live in San Francisco. Over the last year and a half I have been dabbling in guitar repair, building, restoration and refinishing. I got bit by the electronics bug and have now ventured into effects. Next will be amps :) This is just a hobby and I really don't understand most of what I am doing yet, but these layouts are just so easy to follow.

Second, I wanted to thank all of you who put so much time and effort into this fantastic website and forum. I follow on a daily basis.

I have built my first 4 effects from this site; a DAM Meathead, a Vemuram Jan Ray, an Em-Drive, and a Cornish Buffer. All work and sound GREAT!

Here's my question. I followed the advice of Atomicwombat from the comments section and it's true, the Em-Drive actually sounds pretty bad unless the buffer in front of it. It's dull and muddy in higher gain settings. With the buffer it sounds awesome. Right now, I am just running both next to each other, but I would like to build both into the same box. How does one do it? I would think that you could have two boards in the same box or add 6 rows above the buffers circuit and build an Em-Drive in that space. How do you run the leads from one into the other and then offboard?

Left to right: Em-Drive < Jan Ray < Buffer < Meathead

Thanks for your time.

Jesse

Re: 2 Circuits One Box (Cornish Buffer into Emerson Em-Drive)

I'd just add the extra rows and daisy chain the power so that the 9V and ground is shared.  If you wanted to you could add a 100 ohm resistor in series with both 9V wires which can help prevent noise, apart from that just treat it as a single effect.  If it sounds bad without the buffer then you'll always want it switched on so the circuit input from the stomp would be the buffer input, then circuit output will come from the EM Drive section back to the stomp, and connect the buffer output to the EM input with wire.