2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Marbles
Hi Guys,

I have a silly question that has been asked a 100 times before I'm sure, but I just cannot find it. It's probably my language barrier that keeps me from using the right terms.

I want to build 2 effects in 1 box.

1 switch is the master, the other switch switches between the 2 effects. I can use 2 LEDs for this switch, or a dual LED.

In my google searches it's basically what the Way Huge Cameltoe has. I'm at work though, hoped to find gutshots of that, but when i started typing 'Way Huge Cameltoe' - images, I thought that might not show up nice in my browsing monitoring...

Does anyone have a link, or the correct term to google?

Thanks!

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Shaggy45
i believe this is the layout i used for making a looper a year ago that does exactly what your asking for:

just modify to use circuits instead of send/return jacks

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

The above layout looks like an order switcher

Switching between two effects is easy but I won’t have access to draw you a layout until after work tonight or tomorrow

Essentially what you are looking for is an AB plus true bypass. Send and return A of the AB will be effect A input and output. Send and return B would be effect B input and output

Then the “master” send and return from the AB are used as effect input and output on the true bypass switch

By the way in all the years I’ve talked to you I’ve never noticed a language barrier, your English is great

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Marbles
Thanks a lot guys!

That would be awesome. order does not need to be changed (since it's the same pedal).

This made me think: Is it possible to split the gain knob into 2 channels? This might sound ridiculous, but I like the Demo Tape, like, a lot. I love the low gain sounds, but also the high gain. So I basically want to switch between low gain and high gain. Is it possible to connect 2 gain pots? The switch determine which gain pot is controlling?

The above was just a brainfart, I probably would not like that cause the higher gain would require different EQ settings, but just curious.

In the end to have two of the circuits in one pedal would be best I think. If you could find one I would be very grateful!

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Shaggy45
just opened up the looper and that is the layout i used. i used it to ab two effects and not switch the order. i'm a noob so i don't know much about the hows or whys. Someone on diystompboxes drew it up for me after 3 attemps of trying to get the ggg one to work and it wouldn't.

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Zanius
Here is a quick drawing. The second layout also grounds the inputs of the effect that isn't being used to prevent popping when switching A/B. It may not be necessary plus the 4PDT adds more "click" when switching due to the harder action. Your choice

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Marbles
Thanks a lot!

Ay, hard decision... Do not have a 4PDT at the moment, but do not like popping..

Even though it will be delivered next week, I think I'm going with what I have.. Thanks!

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Zanius

I would try the 3pdt method first and only use the 4pdt if there is a problem, not all circuits act the same.

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Input grounding isn’t for popping anyways, it’s to keep the bypassed circuit from oscillating and bleeding through the switch. If you have problems with popping, then you should try pulldown resistors

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Mulekicker
Curious to see how this turns out. I never appreciated the low gain sounds of the Demo Tape until recently.  it's a magic combination with my old Ampeg Gemini ll's verb and trem.

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Marbles
Ah shoot. I'm almost done, and saved my favorite part for last (LEDs, ugh).

Only to find out I have a common Cathode led instead of common anode. At least, that's what I think. Ground in the middle and 9+ on the outside: Nothing. Ground in the middle and 9+ on the outside: bingo.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer

Re: 2 effects in 1 switching and 1 master

Marbles
Well, the effect works without bleeding any noise, so that's awesome!

It's just the leds, sigh. Am I such an idiot? I looked for common anode bicolor leds. Could not find them. How does it work though? I thought: Well, I will just connect the outer lugs with a resistor to the 3pdt, and the middle cathode directly to the power, but no luck. Since this bicolor led seems unavailable, and all pedal parts vendors only seem to sell the ones I have, I am convinced there is a way. I'm just not getting it.. Does anyone know?

Here is a quick vid in socks for for sound. No clean signal, both parts are with the effect on. (If only it was visible lol)