2N3904 vs 2N2222A ¿Tone differences?

JaviCAP
Hi all,

Well, let's see. I always try to follow the B.O.M or schematics when cloning a pedal. The fact is that a few months ago, had no 2N2222A available and had to use 2N3904s.

The effect did sound great, but anyway, when I purchased some 2N2222A more, I swapped'em...and could hear no difference!

Since then, many more times I've  used 2N3904 when the layout claims for 2N2222, and, I  swear that cannot find any difference, as long as we talk about fuzzes/distortion.

A 2N3904 cost is about 1 dollar cent, a 2N2222 is more than half a dollar. This is not a great difference when talking about the final cost of one pedal, but when you build dozens, there's a "slight" difference between purchasing 200 x2N3904 or 200 X2N2222.......

Is my ear  hard as a rock or there are some other ones tan can't tell the difference in tone between those trannies???

BR

Re: 2N3904 vs 2N2222A ¿Tone differences?

dexxyy
A while back i went through a huge tranny swapping stage, trying out different transistors in every build, the thought process being why make the stock pedal if i can make it sound better (to my ear). The conclusion i came to was that unless i swapped for a noticably higher/lower gain tranny there was little to no discernible difference. Mind you 30 odd years of extremely loud gigs probably aint been great for the old lugholes
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: 2N3904 vs 2N2222A ¿Tone differences?

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 2N3904 vs 2N2222A ¿Tone differences?

Yes I think transistor gain is a much more important consideration than the part number.  And as the 2N3904 and 2N2222 have exactly the same range listed in the datasheets, it makes sense that they would sound very similar.