4 way amp switcher?

alex.s
I've been contacted by a friend who was asked by a customer (she works in a guitar shop) about the possibility of having a 4 way amp switcher made.

I've been looking for options and while creating a one way TB loop kind of switcher would be extremely easy it would imply that each output is individually switched on or off.

Would anyone know any way around making a 4 way switcher which would allow any one of the 4 outputs to "take over" the others when selected, hence muting them?

Hope it makes sense...!

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

cylens
relay switching operated by a microcontroller seems like a good solution for this application.

unfortunately, I cannot help you much further, I'm in the process of learning how to do that myself

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

alex.s
cylens wrote
relay switching operated by a microcontroller seems like a good solution for this application.

unfortunately, I cannot help you much further, I'm in the process of learning how to do that myself
That's exactly what I was thinking and somewhat dreading...!

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

MrTondo
I assume you want foot-switching? If not you could think of a 4 way switch selecting the amp.
My heart can go where my head can't fit.

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

alex.s
Yes sorry I'm thinking foot switches :)

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

i've been researching the same thing for awhile for my mesa m6. there's different settings on the amp that can be foot controlled, but until recently they didn't make a footswitch to change between mods, and now that they do it's too expensive. i mean my amp, not including the cabinet cost me over $1000, i'm not paying $100 for a fucking foot switch. for me i found a company that makes one, but it's still ridiculously priced. i hope there's an easy way to make one DIY....

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

cylens
I've bought a pickit 2 and some PICs, everything is set, I will start by a simple relay bypass. Looking at 1776's Finish Line schematic, everything is handled by the PIC, and I think that shouldn't be much complicated. hopefully, I'll be able to work on it in a couple of weeks.

I just think it's weird that in this community, everyone is OK and willing to share schematics, veros and PCB layouts, but when it comes to code... there's nothing there! (well, that's not fair, the TAPLFO code is available and very well documented) or I'm not searching with the right terms...

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

Silver Blues
Here's a relay bypass system using Arduino complete with code. It's pretty neat, maybe you could start with this.

Re: 4 way amp switcher?

cylens
that's great! thank you so much! maybe it's because I wasn't searching for Arduino-based stuff... but this never showed up...