555 Voltage Multiplier...

bendeane
So I've done the 555 Voltage doubler, but I've been experimenting with a schematic I've found and so far the results are great.  I've attached the schematic, and I would be willing to do a layout, but I'm not super great at them.  I've gotten 27V out of a 9V supply and it's only 4 more parts than the MAX1044 with same results.  I've not done super thorough testing for noise, but the initial results are dead quiet in my signal path.
https://www.nutsvolts.com/uploads/wygwam/NV_0198_Marston_Figure08.jpg

I've made a few simple modifications...there's a 10n cap in series from pin 5 to ground and R1 and R2 values are more in line with your NE555 Voltage Doubler and C1 is actually two 10n caps in series for 5n.  Gets my oscillation frequency up in the 40k range I think.  I also put a filter cap between the output and ground.

Anyway, not sure if I'm way off my rocker here, or if this should be a good alternative to the $3 MAX1044 chip.  Thoughts?

Re: 555 Voltage Multiplier...

Certainly a good alternative. What’s more interesting to me is that these could be used (with mosfet, inductor, diodes, caps etc) to generate well over 100V. The amount of current is pretty tiny but it’s enough for a couple 12A_7.

It would be really fun to do some tube pedals that don’t have starved plates like pretty much all of the popular projects out there

Re: 555 Voltage Multiplier...

Re: 555 Voltage Multiplier...

sharaynishi
sorry for the ancient bump. but did you make teh layout?

If so, pls share it :P

Re: 555 Voltage Multiplier...

Travis wrote
Certainly a good alternative. What’s more interesting to me is that these could be used (with mosfet, inductor, diodes, caps etc) to generate well over 100V. The amount of current is pretty tiny but it’s enough for a couple 12A_7.

It would be really fun to do some tube pedals that don’t have starved plates like pretty much all of the popular projects out there
Sushi Box FX is doing full-voltage tube pedals with a 555-based HV power supply generating ~200V! They have a couple of DIY projects available too, I've got a Space Heater PCB and enclosure sitting on my desk ready for a free moment to come by...

(just realized how old this thread is... lol)