5v Relay Bypass

Alamondm
Hello
I was wondering if anyone had a layout for a 5v relay bypass. All the ones I have found use 12v relays. I’m trying to avoid the programmable chip. Trying to keep it simple . Would like to be able to feed it 9v and use a 7805 ( I think it is) to-92 regulator. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
Thanks
Matt

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Sensei Tim
you can run a 5V relay on 9V power. no need to use a 5V regulator.  the voltage just means the minimum coil voltage that is required.

have a look at the RG Keen relay bypass or the incandenza bypass.

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Alamondm
Thanks you for the direction. Unfortunately I have figured out I have the DPDT non latching relay. The only layout I have been able to find doesn’t have very good reviews. There seems to be a lot of bugs in it. Oh well, guess I’ll cut my losses and chalk this up as a learning experience. Thank you again.
Matt

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Stevel
A non latching relay will work with this, just check the pinouts of your relay they are not all the same.

I use this myself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpkLW51Hz61/?taken-by=demedasheffects

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpse3QZnTVI/

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2018/11/demedash-effects-incandenza-bypass.html

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Sensei Tim
a word of warning (i just figured this out earlier today)

be careful if you're using the incandenza circuit and you're running your power at 18V.

the 555 timer is only rated for a max input of 18V.  I have had 2 fry on me when the customer ran at 18V and cooked the 555 timer.

i'm trying to put a voltage divider (1k/10k or a 2k2/10k) in the circuit to bring the 18v down to 16V-ish while still keeping a 9V supply around 8V to help protect the 555.

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Silver Blues
See my thread about soft-latch bypasses!

I have found the microcontroller-actuated ones to be better than the alternatives, but Mictester's CMOS module only uses a run-of-the-mill Schmitt trigger and has pretty good performance as long as you're not trying to actuate the relay many times in quick succession.

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Alamondm
Thank you all . Some great info to digest.

Re: 5v Relay Bypass

Sensei Tim
following up on this.  I've been distracted with other things.

the 555 wasn't the problem.

The 18V input, when going thru the 555 has a 1.7V drop so the final output voltage going to the relay is 16.3V and the absolute max that a 5V relay can take is around 9V.

The solution that I found was to use a 9V low drop out (LDO) voltage regulator on the whole relay power circuit, that way when the pedal is connected to 9V everything is fine and when they use 18V the circuit is at 18V but the relay switching portion stays at 9V and the relay sees a max of 7.3V