630V vs 63V Caps

Dulouz
Hi All!

The parts I ordered for my first build arrived from Mammoth yesterday. I ordered everything I need for the compact layout SHO clone.

As I got started building I noticed that the 100n cap was a little big for the board. It appears that I got a 630V cap instead of a 63V. Will it still be ok or should I replace it with a lower voltage cap?

Re: 630V vs 63V Caps

Vince
Hi,

They will be fine, Anything over 16v is fine unless you plan on pushing 18v through it. I've used 10v caps with no problems (on 9v supply)

The only difference is the physical size.

Re: 630V vs 63V Caps

Dulouz
Thanks Vince!

Quick, friendly and knowledgeable replies. That's what makes this forum the best!

Here's my build so far:

Re: 630V vs 63V Caps

Vince
No worries,

It looks cool, the big cap looks pretty sweet

You might want to consider some of these for future builds. You can break them off in threes and socket your transistors. Very handy to protect them from heat damage, easy swap to experiment and if you have a dead one, it saves you having to un solder it. I've had a few dead transistors in the past.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/sockets/sip-sockets/30-pin-dip-sip-ic-sockets-adaptor-solder-type.html

Re: 630V vs 63V Caps

Dulouz
Thanks again Vince!

Yeah, I forgot about those sockets when I placed my order. Well, there's always next time. And believe me, there will be a next time. This is too much fun!

Re: 630V vs 63V Caps

GoranP

I got mine from here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190700783876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Bought 5 packs (100 pieces) so I'm probably set for life