7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Definitely. I was planning on doing the same, but I've been so stuck on toying with different Ge transistors that I haven't really done anything as far as listing the sound qualities of different diodes. We should should make a thread listing all the sound qualities for both transistors and diodes and make it a sticky so it stays on the top of the forum for everyone to reference and add.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Heath
Thanks, guys.  I nabbed 100 of those D9Es.  I figured they were probably only going to get more expensive.

I'll try and get in on the Great Jumpin Germaniums! thread when it appears and will be happy to add my 2 cents when I've tested what I have.

The thing is, I read that post of Jon's, but most of my diodes seem slightly different than what he is testing, even with the same names, and my results don't really tally with his on the ones that do.  I regard Jon as damn near a Genius, so I'm going to retest mine when I get the D3Es.  I think I'll build one of these "Snowjobs" all the cool kids are talking about (peer pressure!!!!) and maybe I'll be able to discern things a little better.

Thanks for the help and advice, folks!

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Beaker
Glad you managed to score some Heath. I can only really compare the D9E and the D9K (as they are the only ones I have at the moment), and agree with that article: the E's are smooooth, the K's have a bit more fizz to them. It's only a tiny difference - my ears are not great so others might disagree.

As I said, for our purposes, I think that any of the D9 series will sound good.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Heath
I was going to buy an assortment but his shipping prices got freaky.  It seems he combines shipping on multiple quantities of the same item, but not multiple different items.  On anything with any real weight I'd say it's not unusual... but to pay an additional $7 - $12 per small negligible size/weight item doesn't work for me.  When I went to total up the items I was intending to purchase, it was $118 in parts and something like $125 shipping, no exaggerating.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Heath do you mean me? This whole john thing is killing me. I'll start a Ge thread for us later. Can't do it on my phone easily, cause I can copy and paste some of the descriptions I gave for the tone of the russian transistors I have tried. But I agree about midwayfairs descriptions for each of the D9 diodes. I've got some of each of the ones he mentioned, and plan on grabbing some of the others too (D9L, D9B, etc.)

you should have sent them an email asking about the shipping or tried hitting the "request total" before checking out. i've done that and magically the shipping drops like a rock. i've had order that are $250 and shipping $250, i sent the seller an email and the shipping changed to something like $60.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Beaker
Zach (can I call you Zach?) have you got any Russian D310 or D311 diodes - I've bought a bunch so will have to see if they are any good.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

lol, sure man. if i knew you're real name, other then beaker, i would call you it. i have a bunch of the D310's and LOVE them. i like them so much, i bought something like 10, tested them, then bought 500 of them. to me they sound very similar to 1n34a's, smooth distortion, and a little dark, but i really seem to gravitate towards darker sound pedals.

i have yet to buy any D311's though, but i would think they sound pretty good, considering the D310's are great, and the experience with the magical SFD-112's and sfd-111's both sound very similar and sound fantastic .

btw, every time i see your username and/or type beaker all i think about is

and i just laugh picturing Beaker from the muppts trying to build pedals. hopefully you don't take that as an insult.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Beaker
Why do you think my profile pic is of me heavily disguised?

Beaker was my nickname when I was in a metal band circa 1980, because I had a huge quiff, and I had a habit of accidentally setting fire to / electrocuting / cutting / breaking myself on a far too regular basis.

The hair's gone but not much else has changed.

Thanks for the info on the diodes.

Mark.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Heath
I'm confused :p  Let's see here...

When I said "Jon's post" I meant Jon Patton/Midwayfair and was referring to his "diode sounds like..."  post.

When I said "I think I'll build one of these "Snowjobs" all the cool kids are talking about (peer pressure!!!!) and maybe I'll be able to discern things a little better. " I was referring to you and dbat69, cause y'all be cool mofos, and the inference that the Snowjob circuit would be good for testing diodes.

When I said "I'll try and get in on the Great Jumpin Germaniums! thread when it appears" I just mean I'd be happy to add to the "database" of "germanium diode sounds."  Didn't mean to put that responsibility on you

Did I hit on the confusion there somewhere?

As to the ebay dude, I get what you are saying, but even $60 is way way too much for a little bag of electrical components.    That's just me, though.  I got my 100 D3Es for $23 + $4 shipping from a different seller.  It just made more sense.

One problem is, once you get far enough to request a total, you've already committed to pay even if he refuses to adjust shipping at all.  $10 - $15 is the most I'd pay for anything of that sort from Russia, Bulgaria, Cheko, etc. unless I bought a significantly heavy item  Again, that's just me, though.

I done got old and cheap!

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

Heath
Holy shit...  I took a look at the layout for the Lotus Snowjob.

I JUST built this last night

So, what I'm thinking is,

1. I just basically built a Snowjob, minus the switching
2. They are both Electra Distortion circuits with minor modifications (I already knew the Joe Gore one was.. he's completely open about that, especially since he provides it as a learning project and not as something he claims as his own creation)
3. (If I'm correct on the above points) I just did my first "hey, I recognize that circuit!" from just a glance at a layout.  That's a big deal to me :D because I am schematic stupid.

Of course I might just be an idiot.

Re: 7 MILLION PAGE VIEWS!!!

true on that price for diodes, the order i was talking about was all transistors, something like 80g or something like that.

mark (beaker), that's hysterical. got to love how nicknames start.

it reminds me of one of my favorite bands i was in back in high school, called Unununium (element 118). it was a true funk jam band, whoever showed up was in the band, and it was a fucking mess and fun as hell. at one point we had 4 drummers, 3 bassists, a gong, a quarter of the high school band, someone that played the jesus cymbal (a high hat from one of our drummers that got run over and made the most amazing, strange sound when you'd hit it), and a pyrotechnics person. now during a practice in one of the many members of the bands basement, we were practicing covering the theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Chemical Zone, our pyrotechnic guy thought he should practice too for the show, next thing we know the basements on fire. needless to say, that was the last practice at that kids house. nothing like mixing music and fire. i just some how have caused 4 amps to set themselves on fire, i took it as a sign to stop making excuses and buy the mesa. lol

btw, i know of like 4 marks on the forum, this may get confusing using our real names.

heath, you're spot on. if it's an electa distortion, i think to make it a snowjob you just need to take the diodes and put them on a switch to engage or remove them from the circuit.
12