9v supply problem

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hello to everybody.

i've build this one
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Advice-Add-a-47r-resistor-on-every-9v-rail-td7294.html#a7320

without the 7660. just with 6 outputs of 9v.

i though that i could build a 9v to 18v board in an other box.

i've used the big 7809 which are rated for 1a.
but the problem is that they get too hot. so hot that you can't touch them. and the circuit stops working after a few minutes.
i believe that the problem is that the wall supply that i use is only 12v at 1000ma, cause thats what i only have. i wanted to buy a new one but it is too expensive for me to buy now. (28 euros...).
so my thought is to build the 9vto18v and with that, i'll be able to give 18v to the first board. is it ok as an idea, or i don't get it right?

thanks anyway

Re: 9v supply problem

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
ah!!! and i forgot to say that i've used a 4007 diode, witch maybe is a problem too...

anyones help will be appreciated

Re: 9v supply problem

induction
This sounds like a problem with your build.

To help more, I need answers to a couple of questions:
1. What are you powering when the circuit fails?
2. Do all of the regulators get hot, or just one?
3. Is the 12V supply DC or AC?

The regulators shouldn't get very hot with a 12V supply unless you're pulling lots of current. The protection diode (1N4007 is fine) limits you to 1 amp or so. So if all the regulators are getting hot, the circuit can't be functioning correctly, because that's not enough current to burn 6 regulators.

An 18V supply will make the regulators run hotter, not cooler. In any case, you don't want to use a charge pump as a voltage source for these power supplies, they don't supply enough current. The 9V to 18V converter will work fine for powering a few pedals, but if you want to supply a lot of current, you need an 18V regulator (7818) running from a supply voltage of 20V or more.

From the symptoms you describe, my best guess is that you wired both the supply voltage and the protection diode backwards. Or you reversed the regulators. I could be wrong though.

To go any further, I need answers to the above questions, and high resolution pictures of your build: front and back of the board, and all off-board wiring.

Re: 9v supply problem

tjdracz
Check and double check orientation of regulators, using datasheet. Is out pin where it should be, giving you 9V? You can try to omit a diode and jumper it, it won't limit current, but you lose polarity protection?
Did you wire the 12V straight to board or is it connected by DC jack? Is polarity correct?
Lastly, as always it's good to check with multimeter on continuity testing for any unwanted bridges

Re: 9v supply problem

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
thanks for the help guys!
i've lso build a diy dc jack chain, that somehow had a bringe...so after moving-squeessing wires it's working perfect, no heating, and as it should.

i found out that the 7660 voltage doubler wouldn't work for what i wanted to anyway after some readings on datasheets...thanks again.see you at my next trouble!!!