AC 128 replacement Fuzz Factory?

Marbles
Hey there :)

Hope you guys are somewhat recovered form Christmas..

I want to build another Fuzz factory, had built one before, but gave that one away. I could be crazy, but I can remember not paying that much for AC128s..

Musikding sells them for 2.50€ but they're out of stock. Banzai has them for a whopping 5,65€.. Each!

Now I might be cheap, but can't remember them being that expensive.

Would other germanium transistors have the same characteristics? I have a batch of GT308b/v 's laying around. Would they give me the exact same result or will there be very notoicable differences?

Are there better replacements?

Re: AC 128 replacement Fuzz Factory?

Use sockets, and try your GT308s.

They might work fine, they might not - I've not used them in this circuit, so I really don't know.
Remember that Russian transistors sound as though their gain reading is far higher than they actually measure.

They would be a great low cost alternative if they do work though!

Re: AC 128 replacement Fuzz Factory?

Marbles
Yeah.... A big difference in price haha.

Any other usual suspects I could try? I know the ac128 sounded great here, so I'd like to be close. (In other fuzzes I always thought: Meh.. But who knows, when they're obsolete they will probably be the holy grail-mojo tone transistor ;) )

Do you have experience with other transistors in this circuit?

Re: AC 128 replacement Fuzz Factory?

Beaker
I'm afraid not - I've only built one (using AC128s), and I doubt whether I will ever build another.

Re: AC 128 replacement Fuzz Factory?

Marbles
Haha, not a big fan eh?

I'll try them. If they're not as unstable as the ac128's, I'll try some others or wait till others have it in stock.

Thanks