AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

MAO

AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

MAO
I just finished another Keeley Compressor and noticed a thumping sound in the background when using a 9v adapter. The pedal is dead quiet with a 9V battery.

Since the pedal is quiet with a battery, does this mean the issue is from a sub par adapter? Or could it still be a filtering and/or grounding issue?

I'm 2nd guessing myself because I seem to recall I had this exact same issue on my last Keeley build.

I believe this pedal has a 10uf filter cap with a 10nf in parallel. That doesn't seem like a lot of filtering so maybe it's susceptible to noise with cheaper adapters?

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

Ciaran Haslett
If you used the layout from here, try putting a 47uF cap in the top right corner from 9V to ground and a small value resistor (100r) in series with the supply.

If its fine with a battery then it's definitely a PSU issue.  I've found small additions like this help when I'm using cheaper wall warts.
MAO

Re: AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

MAO
I had slightly modified the layout, but the suggestion worked like a charm as described, thank you!

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

MAO
This post was updated on .
I asked the guy who I built this pedal for how he liked it, and how he was going to use it. He sent me the following short sound clips. They sounded so good I thought I should post them. Hopefully this is OK with everyone and posted in the proper place.

He's playing through the Keeley clone into a ROG Britannia which has a Dan Armstrong Red Ranger clone as a Top Boost option. Then into a Marshall JCM800.

Who would have thought a Marshall could sound so jangly?

Sounds fantastic to me, this is what makes the time spent on this hobby so worth it!

https://soundcloud.com/maopedals/main-squeeze-before-jangler-in-top-boost-mode

https://soundcloud.com/maopedals/main-squeeze-and-jangler
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

RE: AC adapter noise vs battery no noise

Chris60601
Would be nice if the audio file was in a more internet friendly format instead of a god forsaken apple by product...