AD633-based ring modulator (Music Thing Modular)

AD633-based ring modulator (Music Thing Modular)

helveticat
This post was updated on .
Would anyone be inclined to draw up a vero layout for this small project?

http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?p=45

I sourced an AD633 on eBay -- as the post says, it's the same as the one in Fairfield Circuitry's Randy's Revenge (which is much more elaborate). The chips are a bit expensive but the sound quality is very good.

It will need an 18v charge pump to supply the chip with +/-9v, which is close to its minimum operating voltage. The datasheet says "multiplier accuracy is essentially supply insensitive" so it probably isn't worth going higher. I can obviously use one of the daughterboards here for that but extra credit if you include it .

Of course to have a self-contained pedal we'd also have to feed it a carrier signal, but any oscillator (or other sound) should work; for now I'm personally just interested in the circuit as-is. It could be quite a good platform for experimentation. In theory you can get the AD633 to divide as well as multiply, which is quite intriguing.