Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

jwroper
Hi - a buddy of mine came to looking for a fuzz pedal that does pretty mad clipping fuzzes sort of like the analogman peppermint fuzz and has a dial for the amount of volts going into the pedal.

He wants to recreate a sort of dying battery in a fuzz pedal but have a bit more control over it. EHX make a similar one called the germanium4 big muff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7d4y-G3TE, the volts knob is explained at about 7:10 in the video.

Control wise this should prob have Fuzz/Gain / Volts / Volume and Tone knobs.

So...
1. Can anyone recommend a good fuzz similar to the peppermint that has a nice easy vero layout on this site?! My first thought was just to add the extra knob to the green Russian muff but i'm sure there is something that gets closer to the peppermint out there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2Iqm5jlVo

2. How can the 'volts' knob be added to the fuzz? In the video its mentioned that all the knob really does is reduce the volts in the preamp section?

Thanks all, this should be an interesting project!

Re: Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

JaviCAP
Administrator
The easier way is to use something like the Stab knob in a Fuzz Factory: +9v to pot lug 2 and from lug 3 to +9 hole in the card, so now you can adjust the amount of current that gets into the circuit.

BR

Re: Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

Vince
I've added this to a fuzz face before and it sounds really good. It gives you the splattery effect associated with a dying battery

Re: Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

Put a pot in series with the voltage supply line and wire it like a rheostat, instant voltage sag.

Also, Muffs at starved voltage sound GREAT. I run my purple one at 6v and it's super thick and chunky. It gets noticeably less angry at 9v. (Which is probably OK considering it was supposed to be a bass fuzz.)

Re: Adding a 'Volts' knob to a Muff (Dying Battery Simulator?)

jwroper
Thanks all, going to try this with a harmonic peculator later and see what happens :)