Aesthetics Question

penalkolony
Hi everybody.
It seems it's a posting day today.
I deeply search the web before asking ina forum. Because I'm lazy and it's more fun to me to search and search...
Anyway, I came across this warm looking photography in the spectacular web of Mark Hammer (ampage) and I wonder how this wonderful vintage looking letters can be achieved...

Pic:

thanks!

Re: Aesthetics Question

Beaker
Hi Penalkolony,

I'm not sure what font he used on this one, but my son in law is a graphic designer, and he has an app on his iphone, which can identify any (registered) font, or suggest a close alternative, simply by focussing the phone's camera on the  lettering.

My best advice is to search free fonts on Google, and find one you like. I use an old "wonky" typewriter font called Special Elite on my Brother label maker to mark my pedals.

Take a look through the "show your pedal guts" thread - it will give you loads of ideas!

Re: Aesthetics Question

strewel_peterson
That looks like the lettering was done by a stencil like this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Staedtler-572-05-Lettering-Transparent/dp/B000WL0XTK).

It takes a bit of practice to get anything as consistent as in the pictures - I used to use these stencils with a Rotring pen for cartographic labels back in my geography degree days. I'm not sure how practical it would be draw directly on the enclosure metal: perhaps use the stencil to write on to waterslide transfers or similar, then attach these to the box and varnish over the top of them?

I must confess I take the coward's route of the ol' Brother label maker or even  just hand writing with a Sharpie myself.

Best of luck: there's no feeling like noticing that you've got the spelling wrong on the 20th line of a stencilled map legend.