Algal Bloom Crackle

squirrels
I just finished putting together another Algal Bloom and when the knives are all maxed out the pedal sputters and crackles similar to a Fuzz Factory. I built the board again with the same results. I tried out different transistors (2N5088 and 2N5089). With the knife maxed and with the 2N5089s my voltages are as follows:

Q1
C:1.41
B:0.78
E:0

Q2
C:0.48
B:0.39
E:0

This pedal has basically been my white whale and I want to finally put this one to rest (and on my board). I built one earlier but it seemed kind of off, sounded pretty good but not right with lower output than expected. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Re: Algal Bloom Crackle

squirrels
Knobs, not knives. Wow I was way off.

Re: Algal Bloom Crackle

squirrels
Rebuilt the board one more time with new everything, same result. Also tried with a battery.

Voltages are now:

Q1:

C:1.27
B:0.67
E:0.17

Q2:
C:0.43
B:0.54
E:0

About to give up on this one. Simple circuits kick my ass for some reason.