Amp in a box recommendation?

Vince
As the title says. I'm looking for a 'Sabbath in a box' tone so I plan on running a modded
rangmaster into an 'amp' circuit of some kind. As the Rangmaster will be first I need the drive circuit to be fat to compensate for the loss of bass.

Any ideas?

Re: Amp in a box recommendation?

stringfellow_Hawke
I'm kind of interested in this, too. The Laney Supergroup was supposed to essentially be a Plexi, right? Not sure how similar they were exactly. You might be better off building a range master with an input cap blend to get the tone you want. Odds are pretty decent that Iommi's amps and his rangemaster were modified to suit his needs, so no sense in trying to keep anything stock or authentic to the original. I was feeling lazy and left all my pedals at my practice space, but I have a Creepy Fingers sugar boost, a diy Plexi Drive, and an SG with P90's...I'm kind of wondering how close I can get to the early Sabbath tone with that set up. I know he moved to SGs with humbuckers after the first album, but I always liked his tone on that album better than anything after it anyway.

Re: Amp in a box recommendation?

Vince
I agree, the first Sabbath album was/is a killer tone. I've modded my Rangemaster to a 10nf input cap as to my ears that just brings the mids up enough to get that bite. I have a Laney Lionheart with a heritage greenback and an SG std so I can pretty much get in the area of that tone but I was just thinking it would be kinda cool to have an 'Iommi in a box' kinda thing. I did think about the Wampler Plexi drive or even the COT 50 with a bigger input cap.