Another discussion about bass drives

Silver Blues
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the band Audioslave, but I've been listening to them since I was a kid and always enjoyed their bass playing (it's Commerford, I guess that's a given lol). In particular, I really like the lovely driven tone on Bring 'Em Back Alive and was wondering if anyone knew what would get me close to that tone (3:54 on this video, link is set to that time already).

That song also has one of my favorite lyric lines; "Just like heathens thinking on our feet we'll believe in God / With one step, two steps, three steps toward the graveyard / on the high road to remembering, it seems that we forgot". Really deep when you think about what it means.

Re: Another discussion about bass drives

Beaker
Good luck with that one Silver - off the top of my head, three Ampeg SVT stacks run in parallel - all eq'ed differently, with one set clean, one with some overdrive on it, and one set to full on grind.

Jazz bass tuned BEAD (bottom four strings of a five string set).

Aphex Punch Factory compressor, Sadowsky pre-amp pedal, and TWO dunlop wah pedals connected together with a custom top plate, so they can both be operated at the same time.

And a bunch of overdrive/distortion pedals including (I think) a Marshall Guvnor.

As I say, that's what I remember off the top of my head, but I know there's even more to it than that - I know he has a massive rack unit as well, but don't have a clue what's in it.

I know that he is tasty with a soldering iron, and a lot of his gear is modified as well.

Re: Another discussion about bass drives

Silver Blues
Well.

Lol, I guess that's my next project, that tone in one box