Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Heath
I've got a small supply of through-hole J201s, some Fairchild and some Vishay... no idea how in or out of spec they are.  Frankly I've been loathe to build circuits based on them lately for fear of spending the time and parts building a circuit just to find out my J201s are all out of spec.

Before I go spending $7 shipping for some Fairchild J201 SMDs, is there much point?  Are they more likely to be within spec?  Anyone had experiences with them?

I'd damn sure prefer the frustration of soldering those little bastards to the frustration of not being able to get a circuit to bias.

Thanks!!!!!!

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

dbat69
Heath, I read somewhere that the SMDs are much more consistently in spec with little variance.  I think Mark also mentioned this here too - and he recommended some adapter boards to convert the SMDs to through hole - there are a few available on OSH Park like these https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/zQlKLvxw

I spotted this thread too which might be the one I came across http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24092&p=235504&hilit=smd+j201#p235504

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Yes I'd be happy to use the SMD ones looking at the numbers that someone (I think is was JOK3RX) came up with, I think he measured about 20 or 30 and they were all within a few percent of each other.  It doesn't matter so much with the dirt pedals, particularly the ones with trimmers so you can bias them individually and easily, so I wouldn't worry about using the ones you've got for dirt, but for phasers the new ones will be fantastic I reckon.  I also got some 2SK208's which were used in the AMT amp sim pedals and as soon as I see a big batch of the MMBF5457's I'll get a load of them in for future phasers.

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Heath
Gotcha.  I just remember several mentions of the past little while from Milkit (I think) and others about having J201s (from some of the same vendors I've purchased them from) that they could not get to bias within working ranges even with trimmers.  I might have taken that a bit too much to heart :P especially since I've had more failed builds lately than I am used to.  I think I'm going blind and/or stupid.

Anyways, I think you guys have sold me on the smd J201s.  As I mentioned, the shipping is expensive, but then it IS coming from Australia.  I can't seem to find them reasonably priced anywhere else, AND he sells the little mounting boards for them, too.  $20.50 for 50 smd J201s + boards.  Comes out to about $0.41 each.  That's still shitty considering what they used to cost, but it's better than anywhere else I've found, especially with the added convenience that he carries the little boards too.

I have used smd TL051 and TL052 chips in the past when I could not find them in DIP style.  It seems the smd transistors are a bit smaller, but I believe I can manage them... or go insane trying.

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Pretty soon you'll be getting 100 x SMD J201s for a couple of quid delivered on eBay.  They're cheap as chips when bought in 5000 reels from the manufacturer and it won't be long until someone in China realises they will sell, and then others join in the party and they go into a price war with each other.

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

Luke51411
I've used both smd j201 and 5457 and had good experiences. I matched 30 mmbf5457 and had pretty good results. I used a couple groups of four for phasers and they worked well. I like this adapter board on oshpark https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/txwvqJL1 they are about as small as they can be and don't take any more space than a through hole version. Plus they are only 10 cents each! For 100 5457's from mouser and adapter boards I paid about 30 cents a piece for each completed assembly.

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

jubal81
I've been doing all my layouts lately with TH or SMD option - use either one - and I've found the SMD versions are VERY consistent compared to what I'm used to with the TH. If I'm using SMD JFETs from the same reel, I can bias them all with the same value resistor. Sound great, too.

Haven't tried a phaser yet, but I've seen post from people saying they've had similar great results.
KT

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

KT
How do you cut those PCB adapter boards from oshpark? I tried it by using a knife and then break it (like with stripboard) but I did not go well and even some boards got damaged.

Re: Anyone got much experience with SMD J201s?

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
after a few boards i tried to cu with knives, razors and staff.. i found out that i had to buy a dremel like tool..one of the most helpful things i have on my desk...

https://www.google.gr/search?q=dremel&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=B-ebVLDDBO3W7AaL34CADw&ved=0CEIQsAQ