Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

anders
A great sounding overdrive with some fuzzy germanium goodness when cranked.

Schematic

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

anders
Now verified and good to go. Sounds great and will probably be boxed. I used a russian P30 tranny for Q4 with Hfe 104 and zero leakage.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

bah, i didn't notice you did this one anders. i just posted a layout for it on the main page.

nice job with it, btw, really looks great. nice and neat.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

anders
No worries! The more the merrier as they say. Your layout looks neat as well.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

SeaWitch
This post was updated on .
Anders,

Thanks for this layout!

If I want to do a NPN version of this build, do I just flip all the diodes and electrolytic caps?

EDIT: Looks like I don't flip ALL the diodes and caps, however I'm not exactly sure which ones to flip...

Is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks!

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

anders
Hey! No need to change the polarity, it's already running on normal power supply. I guess you were thinking about the PNP germanium. You can use those with normal power supply, just check out Fuzz factory or Monolith Oracle for example.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

Frank_NH
For those who have built it, how does this circuit sound?  I couldn't find any examples online, but it seems pretty high gain from the schematic.  I even have some spare PNP germanium transistors I could use!

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

SeaWitch
Thanks!  I got a little confused there for a minute...

What do I need to do to use a NPN transistor there instead of a PNP?   I have a handful of MN38A’s that would probably sound good.

Thanks for your help!

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Apocalypse-Audio-Four-Horsemen-Overdrive-tp27000p47010.html
To unsubscribe from Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive, click here.
NAML

Yes, it's pretty high gain with gain knob dimed but the whole range is usable. Sounds tight and clear, I really like this design.
I did a new layout a while ago which isn't verified at the moment but I think I will give it a go in a couple of days. If you wan't I could possibly alter the components sorrounding Q4 so a NPN transistor could be used.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

SeaWitch
Thanks Anders!  I was just roaming around your blog, and it looks great...amazing job!

I have some MN25B's (PNP) I can use for this Four Horsemen, but if you end up doing a layout for a NPN @ Q4, I'd probably build that one too.

Thanks again!

On 7/23/2019 3:21 PM, anders [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
Yes, it's pretty high gain with gain knob dimed but the whole range is usable. Sounds tight and clear, I really like this design.
I did a new layout a while ago which isn't verified at the moment but I think I will give it a go in a couple of days. If you wan't I could possibly alter the components sorrounding Q4 so a NPN transistor could be used.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Apocalypse-Audio-Four-Horsemen-Overdrive-tp27000p47014.html
To unsubscribe from Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive, click here.
NAML

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

RNFR
Thanks guys. I’m very proud of this one.

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

SeaWitch
Hey RNFR,

I built your 4 Horsemen as well as the Toecutter, and housed them together with the 4HM >> Toecutter.  This thing rips!

Thanks for sharing your hard work...much appreciated!  here is a photo of it:

On 10/2/2019 4:49 PM, RNFR [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
Thanks guys. I’m very proud of this one.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Apocalypse-Audio-Four-Horsemen-Overdrive-tp27000p47492.html
To unsubscribe from Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive, click here.
NAML

Re: Apocalypse Audio Four Horsemen Overdrive

RNFR
Wow that looks awesome!