Are these the right diodes?

toddvirgil
So, I ordered all the parts for my klon centaur build... And I noticed my OA91 diodes don't say OA91 anywhere on them. This is what I ordered, can anyone tell me if this is correct? Also, is there anyway to test a diode?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OA91-CV7130-MULLARD-GERMANIUM-DIODE-X10PCS-/260805957977?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3cb93f1959

Thanks!!

Re: Are these the right diodes?

Madferret
Hi Todd, Bill Finnegan who designed the Klon hasn't let on to the exact diodes that are in the Klon so the ones stated on schematics are just approximations based on the forward voltage values. To be honest so long as they're in the same ball park the tone should be very close.

Re: Are these the right diodes?

toddvirgil
Thanks man! Yeah, I knew they were just equivalents, but I wasn't sure how to tell if a CV7130 was the same as a OA91. After much searching and failure to find a datasheet for the CV7130, I came across this thread: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63136

So they appear to be the same. Just curious though, is there a way to test a diode with a multimeter for example?

Re: Are these the right diodes?

Silver Blues
Yes. Most meters have a diode test function that will tell you the forward voltage of your diode. Just look for the diode schem symbol; sometimes it's lumped together with other functions (as with my meter).

Re: Are these the right diodes?

toddvirgil
Very cool, thanks. Yeah, I just found it on my cheap little DMM and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the Tip!