Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
Here is a verified layout of Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz drawn from schematic of PedalPCB Zipper

MPS6513's seems to be hard to come by but any low gain NPN Si works fine. I settled on a couple MPSA06's.

Update 181027
Another verified layout with component values traced by aelling.

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

Mulekicker
Aw man, I was just getting into a Ross phaser, that's on hold now cause I've been wanting a Zippy (apparently I can't have too much zippery fuzz, just finished a Pixel). Thanks so much for this, cutting the vero now!

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

Hozy31
Nice little Fuzz! Used 2N9304s for the moment but will experiment with others later. Cheers for the layout anders.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

Fuzz Prince Of Bel Air
anders wrote
Here is a verified layout of Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz drawn from schematic of PedalPCB Zipper

MPS6513's seems to be hard to come by but any low gain NPN Si works fine. I settled on a couple MPSA06's.
Excellent!

You don't happen to have a recording you could share... do you?

And looking at that schematic, am I right in thinking that 1k on the switch changes the resistance of the collector from 47k to 2ohms (1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2; or 1 divided by 47,000 + 1,000 = 2.08)?

Edit: In case anyone cares, it's actually 979.16ohms. My first mistake was to not correctly use the formula I posted (it should be 1 divided by 47,0000 + 1 divided by 1,000, then divide that total by 1). My second was to use the wrong formula: since they are only two resistors in parallel the formula is R1 x R2, then R1 + R2, and divided the totals.

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

BuGG
Here's one with 2N3904s...   This is double tracked so maybe not the most accurate representation.
https://soundcloud.com/wobbybird/noise

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

Mulekicker
I built this with a couple 2n2369's and it's great. Does exactly what it should, thanks!

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

aelling
Well, once I saw this was posted I wasn't going to post my layout which I first did from the pedalPCB schematic, then I opened up my original Zippy and saw that Body 1 was not connected to anything, so I had to investigate further. I found some other thing that where wrong, first, the pots are not all B50K, infact none of them are. There was also the 1K resistor that was a 5K6 and the 1nF was a 470pF.

Here is my layout, EDIT: Layout verified by clockman 23/10/2018

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

clockman
Hi Aelling,
your layout works and sounds great! Verified.
i'm using 2x 2n4123 transistors, both around 90hfe.
 I actually built both yours and Anders layout just to compare the two and there is a slight difference.
 ander's layout from the Pedal PCB schematic seems more "polite" for lack of a better description.
velcro  buzzy and brassy sound are all there, just ever so slightly more subdued than Aelling's layout.

the two of you have been on quite a roll lately and again, thanks for all the layouts that everyone shares.
this is truly a special place.

Nice clockman, thanks for verifying it and describing the differences between the two.

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

BuGG
This post was updated on .
Good stuff here!   Just out of curiosity, which version of the Zippy do you have?    Yours looks like a newer revision than the one I had.

I don't have access to the original anymore, but this pic appears to reflect some of the value changes that you found.

(I see where "Gnarly" is written at the bottom, but this is clearly the Zippy)

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

aelling
BuGG wrote
Good stuff here!   Just out of curiosity, which version of the Zippy do you have?    Yours looks like a newer revision than the one I had.

I don't have access to the original anymore, but this pic appears to reflect some of the value changes that you found.

(I see where "Gnarly" is written at the bottom, but this is clearly the Zippy)

Mine is dated 9/18/2014 inside on the lid. That picture is actually what I first used but I couldn't make out the wiring so I had a look inside my own, and obviously saw the differences.

The graphics on my version is this one
http://www.basicaudio.net/images/Zippy-horny-fess2.jpg

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

BuGG
Ahh, this one was traced sometime around late '14 - early '15 so was likely an older version.

It's been a while so I honestly can't recall...   The owner of the pedal doesn't have it anymore and doesn't remember exactly what it looked like (I swear it was a 1590BB, but could be mistaken)

The Body pot wiring very well could have been a mistake (that should just reverse the action), but I'd like to believe the pot values were correct.

Regardless, I'm going to update things on my end to match your findings. This ain't supposed to be a "polite" sounding fuzz and your trace is much more recent and fresh than mine.   =)

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

clockman
Unnecessary and unsolicited disclaimer:
 the word "polite" was only used in reference to a comparison between the two builds and in no way was being used to describe the actual character of the sound itself.  It was only when A/B switching that I noticed a slight difference. They both deliver the velcro buzzy madness.
 Also, having now had a day to play with these, I love them. there's a couple of interesting sounds available here.
 first and foremost, the "bass" switch really imparts an older brassy character and interestingly there's a subtle effect i've noticed with it engaged. (also gain and body knobs dimed)
 One doesn't usually think of dynamics when using such a a compressed and "congested" sound, but play softly and it is slightly brighter, dig in and it compresses harder. almost a  breathing and pumping compression effect. dare I imagine trumpet and saxophone-like timbre? try it. it's fun on a bun.

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

Sphere80
This post was updated on .
Built on Anders' second layout with the values aelling traced. Thanks all for taking the time to confirm.  It sounds great, just like the demos of the newer model with the "bacon/horn" switch.

Re: Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz - Verified

anders
Thanks for the trace! Built it a while ago and it sounds great.

There is also an extra layout at the first post with component values traced by aelling.