Bassballs clone - get filter, no auto-wah

Bassballs clone - get filter, no auto-wah

taeagan
Hi.  I'm debugging a Bassballs clone.  I'm using a combination of the veroboard layout from this site and the madbean slurpee schematic.  Basically, I used this layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/06/ehx-bassballs.html

With this schematic:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/EP/schematics/Slurpee.gif

I made the bass and treble controls off board pots instead of trimmers and added the attack and decay pots.  I also used values based on the madbean schematic where they're different.

Basically I get a filtered effect - the bass and treble pots work and the distortion switched in and out both work as well.  However, I get no auto-wah type effect.  The response control doesn't seem to do anything.  Here are voltages:

IC1 (1458):
1 - 4.3v
2 - 4.3v
3 - 4.2v
4 - 0v
5 - 0v
6 - 1.9v
7 - 2.1v
8 - 8.6v

IC2 (4558):
1 - 4.4v
2 - 4.3v
3 - 4.3v
4 - 0v
5 - 4.3v
6 - 4.3v
7 - 4.4v
8 - 8.6v

The two transistors in the tone circuit (the bottom two in the layout) measure:

C - 0v
B - 0.65v
E - 0v

The transistor following IC1 and the attack and decay controls (the one off to the right of the board in the layout) measures:

C - 8.6v
B - 8.6v
E - 8v

Any ideas?  I checked over and over again for solder bridges, cap and diode polarity, layout, etc.... I don't know the circuit well enough to understand why I would get the filter effect but no auto-wah.

Also, I'm going to start another post about some troubleshooting on a Small Stone.  Just so nobody thinks that I'm a complete idiot (only partial idiot) I successfully completed an Orange Squeezer and Phase 90 using the tagboard layouts and they came out just fine.  I've also done a bunch of other madbean and EPFM projects with success.

Re: Bassballs clone - get filter, no auto-wah

taeagan
So I decided to revisit this one tonight.  I had placed a Mouser order, so I ordered some different varieties of 1458 chips and none of them seemed to make a difference in the performance of the pedal.

I get some change in tone when I mess with the bass and treble pots (mounted them off board) and the distortion switches in and out (doesn't sound that great).  But the auto-wah part of the circuit seems to do nothing.  No changes when I adjust the sensitivity pot.  No auto-wah effect at all.  Any thoughts?

Re: Bassballs clone - get filter, no auto-wah

Silver Blues
No auto-wah effect sounds like a problem with the precision rectifier or the transistor that's being used as a voltage-controlled resistor here. Check the parts and board around the right side of the 1458 down to the 5088 for bridges, properly cut cuts and flux residue.