Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

atzeehh
Hi
i recently built the big muff opamp (see below) and ive put everything correctly as the layout said.
But when i play in bypass it works fine, but when i stomp it you hear a beep, like a beep..beep..beep sound.
Plus the led doesnt turn on.
What could it be?

thanks for helping

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

atzeehh
sorry for the big photos!

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

Zanius
Hey! Apart from the circuit not working, led not turning on is a dead on clue for a short in your power, as long as the wiring is as shown in your picture.
So, without having a hard look on your photo I'd say there is either something wrong with your off board wiring, a short somewhere in the box, or a bad track cut or connection on your board.

Have you tested the board before putting it in the box? It's a must-do step even for experienced builders.

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

atzeehh
Hi thanks for responding. im a beginner and i feel really stupid right now for boxing it before testing...
But ill check what you are saying!
thanks!

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

atzeehh
Hey,
i was touching some parts and when i turn up the board the beep was gone but then the volume works and tone, but no gain, just clean.. so it sure is a short with the enclosure and i assume the led is dead because of that. But do you have experience with opamps/ic? what could it be.. it remains a secret :p

but for everyone thats gonna help thanks alot! i really like this community!

Atze

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

Zanius
Sadly, there is no easy answer. A lot of things may have gone wrong, you can't really exclude anything while debugging. Most of the time it is a user error though specifically manifested as an unwanted bridge between tracks or wrong component/wire placement.

Your best bet is to take the board out and give it a very thorough knife cleaning, maybe some brushing too to get rid of any copper or solder residue. While at it inspect the copper side closely, there are a number of things that can go wrong. Cold solder, wrong placement even some component's foot left unsoldered (happened to me quite a few times lol).

Debugging is a must in this hobby and is frankly the best way to learn things. It's quite tedious though, many boards have made their way to the thrash bin :)

Re: Beep from Big Muff OpAmp

atzeehh
Hey thanks for reacting! yesterday ive did some testing with my grandpa, he was specialized in electronics.
We think its the opamp(s), but i cant find what the symptoms are for a burned out op amp. Because ive soldered it per pin on the board (like 1 a 2 seconds with the iron, and then blew). But after all, there comes sound out of it, only its not that much of gain at high gain setting. I will try searching for bridges!

Maybe its my outboard wiring?

Big thanks for helping!

Atze