Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

cpsmusic
Hi,

I've dabbled in electronics for a few years and have made a few effects pedals using PCBs. I'm interested in building some of the effects on this site however I've never used tagboard - just wondering if there are different types of board and whether any particular type is recommended for the projects on this site.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Hey Chris, welcome to the site

The most common type of board we use for the layouts on this site is stripboard, also called vero board. Vero board is actually a brand, and stripboard is often called vero board the way tissues are called Kleenex

When the site started it featured mostly tagboard layouts with a few stripboard layouts here and there. Eventually stripboard became the norm, and the site experienced a huge growth in the number of layouts with the addition of mirosol. So the site is called tagboard effects but you see mostly stripboard layouts

Anyway I found a picture quickly on my phone that has both tagboard and stripboard for examples. On top there are two stripboard circuits and on bottom there is one tagboard circuit
 photo 1334F90F-955C-49B1-BD77-07BAEF3399B7_zpsgcdd9ejg.jpg

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

cpsmusic

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Good question. Notice how each hole has an independent copper pad that isn't connected to anything else? This is perf board. Stripboard has copper strips on the bottom. I think most of us buy stripboard from Tayda, I usually buy it from amazon.

What you want for the layouts on this site is .01" pitch stripboard

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/small-stripboard-94x53mm-copper.html

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Silver Blues
I just want to add that I hate perfboard so much. It's incredibly fragile and time-consuming to build on. I can't count the number of times I've tried to desolder a mistake on a piece of perf and sucked up the copper pads, then had to make some redneck-looking jumper to fix it. Veroboard is hard to set up (laying out components takes a different thought process than on perf or even printed board) but supremely easy to build on, while perf is easy to set up (just make point-to-point connections) but hard to build on (those connections can get ugly and disorganized). That said, almost all the projects on this site are vero (the only perf layout I recall is Paul Stevenson's relay switch).

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

heuermh
I use these
http://mklec.com/components/copper_clad_circuit_boards_pcbs/perforated_boards/mklec-mk-vb21-veroboard-stripboard
http://mklec.com/components/copper_clad_circuit_boards_pcbs/perforated_boards/mklec-mk-vb26-veroboard-stripboard

If you ever get carried away with modding something on a breadboard and can't figure out how to turn it back into stripboard layout, these are pretty cool (but relatively expensive)

Adafruit Perma-Proto Quarter-sized Breadboard PCB
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1608

Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1609

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

cpsmusic
Thanks for the help.

Seems like a lot of what is listed on ebay as "stripboard" is actually perfboard. That's what I was unclear about.

Cheers!

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Yea man. I used perf before and had nothing but issues. It ends up been more work since you basically make a circuit like what you see on a pcb, but use the legs of components to make the tracks, and solder.

Another place to look is Veroboard.com. They're in canada, and have great quality boards, and find of different sizes. I personally use the stuff from tayda, but got some of the other stuff to keep around for odd size boards. Very thick, and sturdy.

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

cpsmusic

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Yes that's fine, the only problem is that with all the space round the edges it becomes a real pain to chop a board down to the basic size required for the effects and remove the overhang.  Personally I use this which at 95mm x 432mm you can make a LOT of individual effects with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290972784568

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

cpsmusic

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Yes that's fine too.  Make sure you've got something suitable to cut it down to size, I'm not sure how tough the epoxy stripboard is.  A junior hacksaw will get through it no problem though if it's a little tough to score with a blade and snap.

Re: Beginner Question: Tag, Vero, Strip Question

Ed Nice
Not entirely related to the original question, but the best way I've found to cut vero/stripboard is with a small triangular file.

 I just mark the board along the holes with a felt tip (because I'm an idiot and will cut it in the wrong place otherwise), then just slowly score it acroass the holes. Once you are about half way through, it snaps with hardly any pressure.

It seems to have a few advantages for me. It doesn't fill the air with powdered epoxy and it makes a really neat and straight edge as you go. I'm a bit anal about making straight edges on my boards, but it's not a requirement :)

EDIT: These kind of things are what I use, but ebay has tons for a few sterlings/benjamins/yoyo's. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/6-piece-mini-file-set-with-pouch?da=1&TC=SRC-file