Best/Favorite DIY Sampler/Looper/Recorder/Playback circuit

Best/Favorite DIY Sampler/Looper/Recorder/Playback circuit

notnews
Hey all

I'm considering building a phrase recorder/sampler/playback circuit.. I see a few unique options have been created and released into the DIY community and I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on their favorite and why. So far I've come across:

Mobius Trip Looper (by GGG, right?), uses the ISD1000a

Loophole (by Madbean), allows for a modulation/filter daughterboard I believe, uses an ISD1020AP

Project Kit #3146, a 40-second recorder with a loop option (by Quasar), not on vero yet but project document explains a lot about circuit and IC operation and exploitation:
Quasar_-_40_second_message_recorder_with_loop_option_(schematic_with_instructions).pdf

Payback (by ToneGod), uses the ISD2540.. seems like this has the most complex modulation on-board, and also just the most utility available.

Lo-Fi Looper (by Tom Bugs), uses the ISD1416.. this schematic looks incomplete to me, though I am not an expert. I haven't come across much info on this one, but Tom Bugs has built some solid stuff so I figured I'd throw this out there:
Tom_Bugs_-_LoFiLooper_(schematic,_mainly_from_ISD1416_ds).jpg

I'm leaning towards the PayBack.. ToneGod makes great circuits. Does anyone here have experience building and using any of these? I'd like something that can record, and then the act of stopping the recording triggers the start of the loop. On-board modulation isn't necessary, but if it's not available on-board I'll probably build an effects loop in there. These ISD ICs aren't that expensive but they do seem to be out of production, at least I could find them on eBay and they're about 10-20 bucks a piece. I'm curious if there are any circuits like thee built around more modern ICs.

Thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Re: Best/Favorite DIY Sampler/Looper/Recorder/Playback circuit

Kinski
I built madbeans loophole along with the modulation mods. I use this thing all the time and absolutely love it. No experience with the others you listed.

Re: Best/Favorite DIY Sampler/Looper/Recorder/Playback circuit

notnews
how does the recording and triggering/playback work? Do you have to choose between recording and playback modes, or is there seamless transition between recording the phrase and triggering the playback using one stomp like I wrote above? Does it allow for overdubbing? Saving phrases?

I'm curious how you use it and what you think it's really good at/doesn't do as well..

Re: Best/Favorite DIY Sampler/Looper/Recorder/Playback circuit

Kinski
Check out madbeans loophole documentation. You can find it on his forum under discontinued projects.

Switching has 2 stomps. 1 for record start/stop. And another stomp for start/stop of recorded loop. I added another foot switch for the detune mode.

No overdubs. But it can save a loop even when powered down. IC spec sheet guarantees at least 100 year save time, I think!

I also used a different IC that allows for 60sec of record time.

I love this looper for what it is. It's got serious limitations but makes up for it in other ways. Modulation mods are a must. You can playback loops at different speeds and keys, or so detuned it turns into a beautiful noisy mess. Or use LFO modulation for subtle worn out records to glitchy sea sick stuff. And tone knob is great for murky textures, or bright hissy tape like artifacts.

So it's really great for all that I mention above but not very good for precise HiFi precision looping. But there are plenty of modern commercial digital loopers on the market for that stuff. It won't replace those. It's really it's own thing in the looper world. For the music I tend to play, I often reach for the Loophole over my TC and Line6 loopers.