Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Blackboarcult
I want to build a fuzz as a gift for a dear friend of mine. The guy worships the Big Muff Pi and is a die-hard stoner fan (think Sleep, Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Om, etc).
I know my way around ODs and distortions, but being more of an 80s metalhead I'm not sure what would be the best choice for his kind of tones.
So what do you fine fuzz folks would recommend?
Thanks in advance!!

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

aelling
The Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof is a really nice take on the muff, anders made a layout here
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Earthquaker-Devices-Cloven-Hoof-td46392.html

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Mulekicker
Check out the Mountainking Megalith.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Each of those bands kinda have their own sound. Electric Wizard is known for using the BOSS FZ-2 for example which is a superfuzz on steroids.

Generally speaking, the green muff is king of doom.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Personally, I’d stick with a Russian Green muff with the mods pot or one of the EME BMP versions I posted on the main page. I feel you can never get better than the original, and added controls just make it loose something, can’t put my finger on it. Side note, the mods pot on all big muff variants is nowhere near as effective as the mods switch. Speaking from experience with both building and owning pedals with them (gen 1 pharaoh and gen 1 hoof).

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

nostradoomus
My favourite is the Elk style tone control (330pf cap/39k resistor) on otherwise green russian specs.

For reference, I play in F# tuning through loud amps.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

BlackDeathsquad
My favorite muff style pedal is the emanating fist Xb-70.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Blackboarcult
Well thanks to y'all for your recommendations!
The Green Muff seems to take the cake here... Anyway I'll breadboard some of those recs and see for myself which one may suit him better.

Cheers!

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Muadzin
My favorite Muff has always been the Violet Ram. And ALWAYS include the mid switch. Just switching from standard scooped to flat can already make all the difference between disappearing into a mix and being there.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Mulekicker
Mids switch is a must. I like almost every Muff variation. I pretty much exclusively play "stoner" type stuff and got by for years with a tall font green Russian.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Marbles
If you still haven't decided, maybe try the Earthbound Super Collider?
Green Russian is indeed awesome, can't go wrong there, has this unmatched growl in it's tone.

I had to build someone a pedal for his Doom band and he wanted/ was super happy with a Black Arts Pharaoh. A pedal that I thought was a bit too clean, but to each his own

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Blackboarcult
Haven't started yet, so I'll also try your suggestions, thanks guys!

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

BigMuff
A bit late, but I built a Russian style muff (my first working build in 2012) and recently got a USA type, and honestly, the USA may be better unless you want a bit more clarity and dryness, which the Russian provides. The USA versions allow more bass frequencies to be distorted and have a decent bit of extra gain, and really get nasty, loud, and compressed, which is as good if not better for the genre IMO. Russian muffs are always automatically mentioned when talking about stoner rock due to their ability to maintain bass frequency clarity (they do not distort the low-bass as much), but in this genre, anything goes. When I went through a stoner rock phase for a few years, that Russian muff I made 7 years ago sure did the trick though! If you go with the Russian muff, changing the 390 ohm emitter resistors out for 100 ohm will give it a slight gain kick that is desirable IMO.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Muadzin
Just go to KitRae's page and build all of them.  It's fun and you can never have too many Muffs. And it may happen that the version you'll like most is one that is different then the ones everybody always touts about.

Re: Best Muff iteration for Stoner tones?

Blackboarcult
Actually I stumbled upon Kitrae's page a few days ago, really useful and complete. Too much stuff to try, too little time  I'll get around to breadboard those y'all mentioned.
Thx!