Big Jam SE-13 Space Driver

MAO

Big Jam SE-13 Space Driver

MAO
I had owned a Big Jam Compressor in '82. Thought it was great, never realized it was nearly identical to the MXR Dynacomp, other than the soft touch/silent switching and bi-color LED...and the sliders! It was cool though, low profile and probably die cast metal.

But since it is/was just another Dynacomp, I figured I'd build the Space Driver instead.

Turns out the Space Driver is also basically just a Dynacomp feeding an overdrive circuit that uses germanium clipping diodes.  But at least it's not just another Dynacomp.

I started with the main site's Dynacomp layout and tweaked it to match this schematic.

Although cool, I omitted the cmos switching, bi-color LED and output buffer. I added an optional pull down resistor, otherwise the layout should be per the schematic.

Of course if you have Johnk skills, you should use sliders rather than pots :0)

Found this Youtube Video

If you already have a Dynacomp, Keeley or Ross built, you can try adding this daughterboard of just the overdrive circuit.

To hook it up, disconnect the Level pot's lug 3 wire from the original board, jumper the 10k that immediately preceded that Level 3 connection on the original board, run a new wire from the board's Level 3 connection to the "In from Comp" on the OD Daughterboard, then reconnect the Level pot's lug 3 pot wire to the new Drive pot's lug 2. Tap into the original board's 9v and Ground and you should now have the Overdrive circuit working.

And I suppose if the output buffer is also wanted, this Buffer Daughterboard should work.

To hook this one up, connect the Level pot's lug 2 wire to the "In from Level 2" connection point on the Buffer Daughterboard. Connect "Out" to the output jack. Apply the original board's 9v and ground to the Buffer Daughterboard.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst