Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
This post was updated on .
I built this one yesterday and it sounds great so it's VERIFIED:

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
This post was updated on .
and with the original PC419 opto device:

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

Vince
Excellent, John. I've been wanting to build one of these for a long time....

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

Heath
Jehosaphat!  That's a lot of cuts!!  This is a pedal I've heard about here and there and have been looking forward to trying.  I'm going to eat a bowl of Wheaties before building this.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
boxed up and DONE (finally!)

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

dbat69
John, I love your pedal builds, they are always so ... perfect.
This one looks awesome - did you just polish the box before applying a clear coat?
Also, where do you get the green vero from - I've often wondered that when I see your builds.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
thanks.
there's no clearcoat. I just polished a bare aluminum Hammond 1590bb and labeled it with a brother p-touch.

I get the green vero from a local electronics store.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

karter2000
How's it sound with bass?

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
it's okay with a bass, especially after I modded it. For me, the original cut too much low end for use with guitar or bass for my taste so instead of installing a third guitar/bass switch, I just gave it more low end. after that, I added more high end too since it seemed a bit dull up top.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

fenderguy79
Can I use a 2n3906 if I use the other layout version?
I already order a PC419 but don't have a nte2370

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

fenderguy79
anyone?

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

régis@fofo
good question, I'm asking the same!

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

johnk
fenderguy79 wrote
you might be able to. it'll probably work with one, but i'd socket it to be sure.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

fenderguy79
Ok, it's working now.  Took me 2 hours to debug tonight.
Shouldn't there be a double link between pc419 and the trace below it so that it connects to 47R 560R d1 sw1 and lm308n pin 2?  That's at least what I gather from the schematic.

The only issue I have that remains is there's a noise that comes and goes when both switches are open.  I don't know if that has to with using the 2n3906.  I reflow all my solder joints.  Maybe it's the rats nest of jumper wires.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

régis@fofo
came to the same conclusion as you about the double link...

You might see the orginal layout witch was done with 2n3703 transistor!

http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=1214

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

glasspak73
Can i build this circuit with LDR/LED from tayda?my LDR's are the SKU A-1528 650nm i have everything els just dont have the PC419

Can anyone tell me if this circuit will work with LDR/LED instead of the PC419?

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

régis@fofo

I don't know but it might work. I have to try that replacement too as I burn my pc419 when I boxed that damned circuit :'(
But it won't be possible before one month or two, cause I'm travelling right now ...

Le 6 août 2015 12:48, "glasspak73 [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Can anyone tell me if this circuit will work with LDR/LED instead of the PC419?

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Bixonic-Expandora-OD-Fuzz-tp9189p23307.html
To unsubscribe from Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz, click here.
NAML

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

glasspak73 wrote
Can anyone tell me if this circuit will work with LDR/LED instead of the PC419?
Consensus is no. PC419 is an opto-fet, which has a much faster (nearly instantaneous) response time. The purpose of the opto is only to enhance pick attack, so it has to be very fast. LED/LDR-type optocouplers are generally too slow.

H11F1, H11F2, and H11F3 have been used successfully as replacements for the PC419, and are much easier to find. 'Successfully' means that the circuit worked and sounded good, according to the person who built it, who was not me. Whether it sounds the same as the original, I can't say.

Re: Bixonic Expandora OD/Fuzz

glasspak73
Thank you for your reply.ill order some PC419's