Bjfe BBBOD problem with active pickups

traktop
This post was updated on .
Our new bass player brought an active pickups bass with him, so he´s having problems getting unity gain even cranking the pedal volume pot.
This is the layout I used:

I was wondering if lowering the 27k resistor before Vol3 would provide a volume bump, or if I´d need to mess with the 1uf cap before the resistor as well...
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Bjfe BBBOD problem with active pickups

hey bro. there should be no reason for this to not reach unity gain with or without active pickups. i have a few active basses, one that i can switch from active to passive, and when it's in active move i overload the effect and push it into more distortion territory then OD. i've got three stupid ideas to try and see if it's the active bass or the pedal or something else going on.

1. keep the amp, wiring, and the pedal chain all same, but switch to a passive bass, then try a different active bass.

2. try putting another pedal in front of the BBBOD, any pedal without a buffer. use the active bass causing the problem.

3. try putting a buffer or buffered pedal in front of it. use the active bass causing the problem.

i'm wondering if it's the issue of impedance of this active bass or something.

Re: Bjfe BBBOD problem with active pickups

traktop
Thanks, I will try it.
The other passive bass we have is a squire p/j and we got unity gain with this one at about 1-2 o´clock on the volume pot, (gain at about 10-11 o´clock.
We´ll try placing the buffered tuner in front of the pedal.
Another thing I noticed is that the bass amp, (ashdown evoII, best transistor bass combo I ever tried by far), have lots of bass frequencies. The bass control is placed at about 45hz, and next control is at about 180hz, so lots of subsonic information in there, (I think you would like it, ;) ).  In spite of the bluberry having lots of bass at the left half of the tone knob , it seems that it can´t go that low, so I was wondering if changing some smart caps values would let more bass get in.
Cheers, Gilberto.