Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

Willybomb
Gudday all.

I've done a layout of JuanSolo/Cleggy's Boobtube Twin, and I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions on it, plus if anyone wants to check for errors that would be great.  The plan is to build the tonestack on the pots themselves, so the vero only covers everything up to that point.

If anyone wants to do an improved version, with or without the tonestack, please do so.  This is my first effort with DIYLC, so I'm definitely up for hints.

Thanks heaps,
Willy.

Re: Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

Without checking to see if connections match the schematic, I would say that your parts are not going to fit on the board as shown.

If you are ordering parts from mouser or somewhere like that, check the data sheet for every part that you plan on using. The data sheet will tell you the diameter and length of a resistor, or the diameter of an electrolytic cap. Enter those values into the corresponding parts on DIYLC.

You should find that at least the 1W resistors and 47u caps won’t fit

Are the rest of the resistors supposed to be 1/2W or 1/4W?

Personally 190V on that board is just asking for trouble in general

The other thing is that this layout is not really going to be conducive to proper “lead dress” and will likely result in extra unwanted noise

Definitely scrap this layout and start over paying attention to component sizes and lead dress. If you must use stripboard, .15” pitch is going to be a much better idea

I also recommend thinking about a way to mount this board securely in the enclosure. Leave extra space for holes to mount the board on standoffs. You don’t want a tiny board with 190V on it floating around in a grounded metal enclosure

Re: Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

Another thing is that the layout doesn’t show anything about the power supply. Could be more issues there if that’s not done properly

Re: Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

Willybomb
This post was updated on .
Only 3 of the 100k resistors are 1w, everything else is 1/4w, the 22n are 630v, the uf caps are 250v, the other nf and pf caps are 100/50v.  I've built this on Juan's prototype STM800 pcb with these values, and thought I would have a go on vero for a number of reasons.

If you have a look at Juansolo's page, you'll see a few of these style things on vero.

This is the power layout.  The uf caps are 250v.

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

doxasound
Thanks for saving us time by posting the power supply!

Can't wait to build this with a cabsim and go direct!

Re: Boobtube Twin vero up for evaluation...

Renegadrian
THX I made a layout of that schem time ago. nice variation.