Boss BF-2 Flanger

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

ashcanpete
So will this be getting moved to the verified section then? I'd like to build, but just curious why it's still in the unverified section.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

chance
I'm not sure but if it's been built and works perfectly then I'd say it's verified, you may want to ask an administrator :)

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

aruberus
I couldn't find an original to compare it to but the guitarist I built it for is loving it.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

chance
Brilliant!
dsh

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

dsh
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

ashcanpete
You do realize this site is primarily concerned with stripboard/veroboard layouts, right? The stray capacitance and inductance can easily be mitigated by solder tracing and other methods. I seriously doubt you can actually hear any difference in a blind test.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

I think one would build this on stripboard as a challenge to their skills, not because it makes any sense

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

chance
I agree with that, it's the challenge involved that gets me. To then replicate with accuracy, the acknowledgement of your own understanding and subsequent skill level is the prize... It's art!

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

chance
I've only ever had one instance of ticking which was solved by adjusting a wire. I've designed many BBD based stripboard layouts, built them and layouts designed by others and turned them into pedals and they've performed flawlessly. Some of them I have supplied to bands who have used them in recordings featuring on the radio, youtube whatever and they love them. Using the stripboard has worked fine for me but it's just fun, like building a little city! You should see the Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man layout of mine on this site, it's just been verified however the builder has some ticking :)
dsh

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

dsh
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

ashcanpete
It literally says at the top of the main page, "Layouts posted on the blog are mainly for stripboard (vero) builds". I not sure what it is that you want, but I think you'd probably find more of what you're looking for on another site. Maybe try freestompboxes or madbean pedals?
dsh

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

dsh
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

moda
Well it’s quite obvious this is not the site for you.

There have been hundreds of pedals made from the layouts on this site that have been a/b tested with original units and have had no differences whatsoever.
To go to the trouble of registering on this site would have meant you did see it was producing circuits on veroboard. I personally would find it dubious if you didn’t.
Differences of opinion are welcomed here but you might want to tone it down a bit.
dsh

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

dsh
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

ashcanpete
The one being rude is you, starting with your very first comment. Seriously, go back and read it, and try to tell me with a straight face that wasn't rude. You start off with that tone and really expect a warm reception?

You clearly fail to realize that almost everyone on the forum understands the advantages of PCBs, you are not the first guy to come up with the idea of a printed layout. And your preconceptions about "fidelity" only being achievable on a PCB is utter nonsense that the empirical evidence and EE theory (properly applied) don't support. But you really seem to be set on that approach, so I literally offered you suggestions to help you find what you were looking for. I'm not sure what else we can do for you.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

Pavlos
When communicating with others, especially for the first time and until you get to know each other, it is generally the custom to be civil and polite. We all have opinions, they may differ, they may even be at odds, but it is not particularly difficult to say

'I think this is the best way to do X because.........pros..........cons...........though if anyone has found a better/alternative way I'd be glad to hear about it and discuss the relative merits of them both. And if anyone has a different viewpoint I'd be more than happy to hear why and try to understand your reasoning? you never know there could be something useful to learnl, regards....'

To all who use this site and choose to be polite and treat each other with respect, thank you, makes for a nice friendly and mutually helpful community.

To trolls.......there are plenty bridges around, over motorways, streams, rivers, between islands, so  please feel free to return to your natural habitat, 3 billy goats gruff miss you terribly

Please be kind to your fellow human beings

Re: Boss BF-2 Flanger

sharaynishi
Hello! I've just recently built this and unfortunately I am unable to get the circuit to do flanging "automatically" the rate pot does nothing.
I am however able to get a sort of a flange when adjusting the "clock" trimmer by hand and also the Manual and Depth pots. I have tried re-flowing the solder through the whole thing, but seems it just won't work.

Used JRC4558 instead of NJM4558(reckoned almost any op-amp would do).
Instead of the tl022 i used LM358P, as I've found people describe it as a substitute, also I found some dude online who posted the boss bf2 schematic with lm358's.
Aand lastly I didn't have any 20k trimmers, so VR5 RES and VR6 BIAS are 50k trimmers.

Has anyone encountered such an issue?
If you do need voltage from the IC's i could do that for you, but I haven't ever done that so would need an explanation on how to do that.

12