Boss DS1 Buffer

diminalbantov
Hi guys! My name is Dimi Nalbantov.
Thanks to this amazing blog, I've entered in the great world of DIY and made some progress in the last month , finished a few jfet emulations and I'm really thankful for this!

The Bogner Ecstasy sounds amazing... :)
In my search for better signal , "killing" some squeals and noise problems
Ive found that the best buffer to "cure" the signal is my original Boss DS1 pedal in bypass mode.

I build a few jfet buffers from here but none of them is Ok to my ears. I know they are disigned to give the best input impedance but I don't like the highs that are "restored"
Also I dont know what is happened but in few of them the full signal is coming in a few seconds.
Like something is taking time to charge...?

Is it possible someone to make a vero layout of the Boss DS input buffer?
This is my request and I hope it is not to much.
Just asking for help :)
Thank you!
Dimi

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Ciaran Haslett
Hi Dimi

Here is the Input buffer with notes on how to convert it to the output buffer, just in case.  Mind the pinout if you intend to use the original transistors.  I drew this thinking about the ease of using the more common CBE pinouts we all have buckets full of.

This is a straight forward emitter follower so I'm surprised others of the same haven't worked for you.  But anyway...here you go

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

diminalbantov
Hi Ciaran! Thank YOU!!!
Man, your are fast...I'm still learning. Started in December last year...:)

Just finished it and soldered the board in front of the Carvin Legacy preamp and you know what?
It works great!!!!
Can't wait to make the output version too!

What I've found is that the buffers with 1M input impedance arent that musical sounding.
I know I want that impedance in my audio interface for direct HiZ recording, but not in my "dirty" analog signal... :)

Thanks again and be well!
Dimi

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Ciaran Haslett
Great News Dimi!

Glad I could help, and welcome to the hobby

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

diminalbantov
Thanks man!
Here is a vid
using the buffer in the Bogner preamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcn1t0iCzs4

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Chris60601
Dimi -

Well done! Love "Dance with the Trees"!!

Keep rockin man!

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

nice job man. i thought i would try to see if i can make the board smaller. so i took some time to and worked backwards from Ciaran's layout and here's what i got.

also, Ciaran you can make you're 13 wide, just by dropping off the last column on the far right that has nothing in it but the wires, and move the wires in 1 column.

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

diminalbantov
Thanks so much guys!
All is working great and sounds great!!! :)
I will use them in my High Gain veros:)
No oscillations anymore!

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Frank_NH
Awesome playing in the video, Dimi!  I remember that my OCD build tended to oscillate (before replacing the op amp) and that putting my DS1 in front of it and using its buffer cured the squeal.

I'd like to hear from others who have troublesome distortion or fuzz boxes and see if the DS1 buffer cures the problem.

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Willybomb
Gudday, what can we substitute the 2sc2240-g with? I'd like to try this vero with a couple of my builds.

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Willybomb
Just wondering about that output buffer. Where is the 1k supposed to connect to?

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Willybomb
Gudday all.  I had no luck with the layouts that are earlier in the thread,  either with CBE or ECB with twisted pins.  That was probably just me, but anyway, Tayda have the 2sc2240 in stock, so I made a layout using those, working backwards from Ciaran's layout and the schematic at Electrosmash.

I've built it, this is verified.  When I've done the output buffer I'll post that too.

Thanks,
Willy.

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Willybomb
This post was updated on .
And here's the output buffer.  Yet to verify it, but it should be good to go.

Edit:  It didn't work.  Not sure why, I haven't managed to get the output buffer to work with any of these layouts (except the very top one).

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

Chris mudd
Can you tell me what the difference between the input and output buffer accomplishes?

I love my pedalboard and am always trying to ensure as clean a signal from start to finish. I have a couple of buffers I have built, but am not familiar with the difference between an input and output buffer.

I can imagine putting one before and one after a single effect build, but could I use one at the beginning of my board and another at the end???

Chris

Re: Boss DS1 Buffer

fx-fidden
I'm working around the Boss DS-1 in these days.
I emulated the two buffer, input and output, separately, with the a pc software.
The input buffer is nothing that a buffer. It works fine, it has a bass cut far enough from a guitar frequencies.
The output buffer works about the same, with slightly less bass cut, but even with a bit of volume loss, probably imperceptible.

(I'm searching a verified Boss DS-1 veroboard layout. The one on Guitar FX seems had caused some issues to someone, and it's not completely authentic.
I found a bufferless layout on Sabrotone, so I thought to add input and output buffer, in case).
I build pedals