Boss DS1

diminalbantov
Hi guys! yesterday Ive build the DS1 layout.
But it sounds nothing like the original. Flabby lows and fuzz like distortion
Ive changed the 2N transistors from 13 pieces but it didn't help.
Also tried Tl072 and 4558 but its the same.

i see the schematic isn't the exact copy from the original, but the sound of the original unit is nice...
Is it possible to make a new layout?

Thank you!
Dimi

Re: Boss DS1

induction
Other than the bypass switching, what do you see that's different from the commercial unit?

It's possible (though not guaranteed) that the published layout is fine, and that you have an error in your build. If you post voltages and photos of your build (front & back of board and offboard connections, hi-res closeups are best), we may be able to help you find the problem.

You'll probably have better luck with this if you post it in the Debugging section.

Re: Boss DS1

diminalbantov
Sorry for my late replay! Yes I've searched for errors and the build is solid.
No errors. Even with audio probe.

Is it possible the flabbiness is caused by the transistors?
The second one. Maybe wrong bias?

I have 10 transistors and checked each of them. But the sound is still the same.
More to the Fuzz side.

I have many builds already from here and they are all great sounding.
Even I succeeded to build the Carvin Legacy, the Bogner the Messas....
Some of the TS and MXR's. They all sound great!

Thanks
Dimi
p.s
Saw on the text above the vero layout that there are some changes.

Re: Boss DS1

induction
diminalbantov wrote
Sorry for my late replay! Yes I've searched for errors and the build is solid.
Famous last words.

No errors. Even with audio probe.
Can you use the audio probe to figure out where in the signal chain the flab starts?

Is it possible the flabbiness is caused by the transistors?
The second one. Maybe wrong bias?
Possibly, but it's unlikely that the transistors are bad. It's more likely that there is either a build error or the bias needs to be adjusted. That's why I asked for voltages. Pictures would also be very useful. I know you checked it over and found no errors, but saying (or typing) any variation on 'I'm certain there are no build errors, but it's not working correctly,' is virtually a guarantee that there's a build error.

Saw on the text above the vero layout that there are some changes.
As far as I can tell, except for common replacements of IC's and transistors, the only differences between the schematic and the vero are in the bypass switching. (The text describes possible mods you could make, but they aren't incorporated into the vero). The effect circuit is accurate to the original, and should sound the same. Boss pedals are mass-produced. They don't hand-select transistors and other components for the best sonic result. The circuit is designed to work repeatably with any components that are within tolerance. If yours sounds wrong, then you most likely have a build error. Pictures and voltages (and maybe an audio or video demo of the problem), are the best way forward.

Re: Boss DS1

"But it sounds nothing like the original. Flabby lows and fuzz like distortion..."

Actually, I have an old Boss DS-1 and, well, it kinda sounds flubby and buzzy...that's why there are a 1001 mods for it.

Check this out:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/boss-ds-1-mods-1

"When the pedal is on, signal travels to Q6, through C3 and into a transistor gain stage. R7 controls the gain of this circuit by changing the voltage bias, consisting of a 470k resistor which you can increase or decrease in value to adjust gain before the next stage. Increasing the value increases gain, while decreasing it will give you a little less gain overall but will tighten up the DS-1’s low-end response, ridding it of the flubbiness many people dislike.  We can also decrease C3 to get this same effect by not allowing as much bass to come through. I like to change its value to either .022µf or .033µf if I’m looking for a less flubby tone. To clarify, to me “flubby” means a deeply compressed tonality. C4, which has a value of 250 picofarads (pF) also filters out some highs. Changing this won’t do too much, although you may be able to coax a little more brightness by changing it to a 100 pF capacitor."