Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
i had a request of a layout of this monster of a fuzz.
*Edit* Sphere80 opened his original box up and identified part numbers of the J Fets.
*Edit2* Updated the layout with input buffer
*Edit3* Verfied

Here is the schem for reference

gul

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

gul
Finally!! You are awesome, Anders.

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

HamishR
Sometimes i think Boss and other manufacturers must have shares in the component makers.  It's a fuzz - why does it need so many parts??  I wanted to build a Zoom Ultrafuzz but have you seen how much is in one of those?

When I look at how many parts are used in my favourite ODs and fuzzes (bugger all) I wonder why these fuzz pedals need quite so many bits?  Whenever I make these bigger circuits I am usually disappointed because they rarely sound as good as my favourite super simple circuits.  There are exceptions i guess but big circuits scare me!

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

anders
Ok, I updated the layout above since I managed to squeeze in the the input buffer by adding a column. I also added a anti pop resistor after the switch since it placed after the volume control. I plan to build it this weekend.

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

HamishR
Good luck!  Let us know how you get on.

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

anders
This one is now verfied and it's sounding great, probably the meanest and most versitale superfuzz variant I've stumbled upon. Why did Boss discontinued this???

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz

nostradoomus
Any way to use a 3p4t instead? Halfway through my build and realized i dont have a 4p3t

EDIT: Thinking more about how much I love the gain boost section of this pedal...is it possible to have Fuzz I and II on a toggle and the gain boost on a seperate stomp switch (kinda like switching channels to negate the fuzz)?

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz - Verified

nostradoomus
Got the right switch in. 99% verified...Im getting really low output out of the Fuzz 1 setting but haven't debugged yet, probably something silly. Fuzz II sounda amazing and the clean boost is....boosty!

Re: Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz - Verified

WeStartToDrift
I built this a couple weeks ago and everything works and sounds exactly as expected. I was surprised that it did not function correctly when placed after a buffer, it being a Boss design and all, but that is easy enough to work around.