Boss PW-2 Power Driver

roseblood11
This is an underrated distortion pedal from 1996, very unique sounding. Maybe it didn't sell well because people didn't understand the controls...

boss_pw2_powerdriver_overdrive.pdf

It can do very distorted sounds that almost sound like plastic, but also quite subtle sounds.
Noel Gallagher of Oasis used it for his old-style sounds, but I remember that I used one in U2 cover songs for some of the over the top sounds, for example the solo part of Bullet The Blue Sky, as they played it on their Achtung Baby tour in 1993.

Re: Boss PW-2 Power Driver

Neil mcNasty
Here is the layout for a "workalike" version...
Meaning: I drew up the main part of the circuit, without the input/output buffers, the bypass switching and with a simpler power supply section.

Hopefully it sounds close enough to the original.

I have not built and verified it, and I probably will not build this myself either, as this is not in my ballpark.
But I found the tone controls interesting, and since I started out making a vero for that section, I decided to include the rest as well...

If you spot any mistakes, let me know so thatI can correct the layout!

Re: Boss PW-2 Power Driver

roseblood11
Very interesting, thanx for sharing!

But I guess it will sound different than the original. The voltages and the exact types of transistors (at least in the discrete opamp stage) might be critical here.