Boss ds-1

septi0
This post was updated on .
Hi there.Is there any chance to make a BOSS ds-1 keeley mod and/or a ISP Decimator noise gate?

Re: Boss ds-1

DS1 yes, Decimator no.   Sabro already has a layout which is larger than I'd ever want to use and mine would be unlikely to end up smaller because I avoid using standing components.  So if you want a vero I'd recommend Sabro's.

Re: Boss ds-1

septi0
I just noticed that there's a vero at sabro's i'll use that then!Thanks alot

Re: Boss ds-1

JaviCAP
Hi Mark/Miro,

Just about curiosity.

Why you  hate so much standing components? Far from my will to question your method, but would like to know.

Personally,  I prefer to  avoid'em, but if their use means to be able to adapt a big  pcb, or reduce an existing one, will use'em with no problem.

After all,  if there's electrolithics in the layout, I find no problem using standing resistors / diodes and so on.

BR

Re: Boss ds-1

Aesthetically I hate them, I think they look untidy and prone to being knocked (and shorting something they shouldn't), but more than anything I like to stuff the board in one go and solder all the resistors in together, and you can't do that with standing resistors.  It's just a preference, 100% of the time I'd prefer to use a PCB with the components laying flat than to use standing components in a vero layout.

To be honest though, the preference doesn't necessarily make our layouts that much bigger because the links can often perform more than one connection which saves space later on.   Just look at mine and Sabro's BD2 layout as an example, mine is 21 x 22 and so 1 column smaller, 3 rows bigger.  But mine has 10 less cuts and 7 less links, so sometimes what you lose in one respect, you gain in another.

But when it comes to something bigger like analog delay or a flanger I just wouldn't want to use vero, whether with flat components or not.  I don't think the medium is well suited to that kind of circuit and we have another important consideration in having to support the layout with people having problems.  And as we spend much time supporting things like a SHO, those layouts would be a nightmare.

Re: Boss ds-1

JaviCAP
Administrator
Fine, quite clear and understood :P

As lately I'm building some Harald's layouts, I'm getting used to standing components. Not that I like them, of course, but somehow now I feel less stressed by them.

BR

Re: Boss ds-1

There's not much wrong with them as long as the builder doesn't share the same mindset as me, and in an enclosed board you have no risk of knocking them and causing a short.   And Harald does have quite a few layouts that people are unlikely to ever see on here so it makes sense to just use the layout your happy with no matter where it came from.

Some I would just much prefer to do with a PCB.  In fact I really want to make a Snow White Autowah and that's another one that I'd much prefer to do with a PCB to keep 1590B (and rack) friendly so I'll probably source one at some point soon.

Re: Boss ds-1

JaviCAP
Administrator
Yeas, Harald has some real  vero monsters.

The difference is that while being a nice and kind guy, his support on his web caanot be compared to this one. His idea seems to be something like "Here you have the layout, now you try and debug it if you wish"

A very common and understable position by the way. When I read comments asking for every little detail, reference catalog numbers for parts, and so on I feel grateful about nor being the owner of this weblog :P

Some time ago, I did publish my builds in a spanish forum, giving a brief explanation, showin' the circuit and the layout (usually Mark's one) and offering some technical data.

What started on my side as an easy and "just follow these stpes in order to build the pedal" finished with not very kind requirements from the administrators of uploading a demo with every new pedal post, and include all the tecbical data, BOM, parts, stores where you could get all the stuff,  replacements, hfe's, kind of caps, reason that could justify these values and replacements and links to references  on the net where information could be confronted.

Of course, my answer was deleting all my posts and sendin' all of them to hell :P

BR

Re: Boss ds-1

No wonder you left, what strange "rules"