Building a multi footswitch to control effects

Building a multi footswitch to control effects

Lead2
Hi all,

As mentioned in a previous post I have built a mutli effects rack. I now want to build a footswitch panel to control it. The foot switch will have 9 switches for the effect and 4 additional switches that will act as presets. These will be set using 10 way dip switches.
To do all of this is a very basic way would require

9 connections for the switches
9 connections for the led indicators (show which effects are on) These need to be true tallies from the effects and cannot be switched locally from the stomp switch
1 Common for the above

Giving me 19 connections. I do have 20 way cable and 25 way Dsub connectors that would handle this but I really would like to reduce the amount of connections.
Any ideas. Can this be done with diode logic or some kind of micro controller?

Thanks..