Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns
What component subs can I do to change the frequency response?

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

alltrax74
Socket the 10µf cap on the output and try a lower value, like 10nf or even 4n7
On my build i put this cap on a stock/treble dpdt :

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns
Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this a shot.

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns
I think my problem may lie somewhere else, I can tell a tonal difference with the cap changes but it's as if the pedal is not giving me a boost but actually a cut in volume. I believe I am below unity at full volume. I am not using a rev log pot yet, it's in the mail. But surely that isn't what is causing this volume drop. Maybe I will try a few different transistors and see if that helps at all. Any other thoughts would be great.

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

alltrax74
Lowering the output cap volume does decrease the output, but I didn't notice any difference till 10 or 4n7
I tried 1n and the volume drop was too important.
Their indeed may be something else wrong in your build.
Could you post high res pics of your both sides of your circuit ?

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns
Images

I checked with a Jewelers loop for solder bridges and didn't find any. I did sub a 4k7 for the 5k1.

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

alltrax74
Can you point me to the layout you built it from ?

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns

Re: Built a SHO but it sounds a little dark, what can I do?

bernierunns
I just swapped out the BS170 and it came to life. There is a lot of boost in this thing.

Thanks for the help.