Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion

I used the sunface vero schematic with bc108s. Instead of the 1u cap i used two 0.47 caps in series. I dont get a guitar signal just a lot of oscillation. When I unplug the power supply i get the lean guitar tone.

Also, it isnt the first si fuzzface variant this happened on, i used the same trannies on a fuzz face with bias layout and exact same thing. I dont get it, do my bc108b8b have a different pinout?

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

it's hard to see the layout, but the pinout for the metal can bc108 should be as below. did you twist the pins for transistor in the top left?

what are the voltages of the transistors?

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion
I checked the voltages for the trannies in another forum, they were ok and yes i wisted the base and the collector pins. I dont get it is it one of those builds that doesnt work with a regular power supply?

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

Marbles
It's a bit blurry. Are you sure there is no bridge in the bottom where the trimmer is? It looks like a big blob of solder connecting the input to ground. But like said before: It's a bit hard to tell.

Is it possible to upload better quality pics? Preferably in the same angle as the layout? (easier to compare).

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion
Honestly I didnt check for bridges, but i did a couple of goes with a knife between the strips. Now, what i want to know is if these circuits require a power converter?

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

You really need to go over that board, it looks like there's a lot of solder bridges so knife all the tracks, and messy soldering. Another thing try another set of transistors after clearing the tracks. You may have a bad one.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion
I already knifed it multiple times and checked for bridges and what not, nada. I am honestly stumped.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

Addy Bart
If you're making up 1uF with two 0.47 caps you need them to be parallel, not in series.

If that doesn't fix the issue, it's more than likely a solder bridge on the board. I can see several areas that look suspect. Test it with your multimeter using the continuity setting.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion
Can the wrong capacitance make the pedal incapable of producing sound? And I checked for bridges.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

nocentelli
Two 0.47u caps in series gives 0.235u capacitance: It might sound a bit thinner/less bassy, but will still work fine. Have you cleared the obvious shorts in the last picture posted? There is a blob of solder across two strips at the bottom left hand side, and a fleck of copper across another two strips next to a track cut in the middle of the board.

If you go over the board carefully with a magnifying glass and ensure the is no contact between any decent strips and it STILL doesn't work, the next step is to take voltages.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

Marbles
I see that it's knifed, but as noncentelli pointed out, there is still solder betweem the tracks linking the rows.
Beneath the circle on the right seems to be another one.

What I always find handy is to download a flashlight app on my phone. Have the bottom of the board facing you and shine the light from the back. This way you get  real good contrast between the yellow and the possible bridges.

Re: Built the bc108 sunface but i dont get a guitar signal

GrooveChampion
I checked them with the multi meter and no short.