C945

Woody
Mid
Hi first asking. Would it be ok to have this circuit on a stripboard. I would like to add the mid on the output of the circuit. I will use C945 asI have a few of them. I would put this in the box with omega and lovepedal  in a cascading sort of way. The lovepedal and  omega were made from here. Am I to post as verfied working? Thank you.

Re: C945

fx-fidden
The veroboard layout you need is that two transistors based circuit in front that mid control?
I build pedals

Re: C945

Woody
This post was updated on .
Thank you for asking. Yes amp first then mid. Sorry I forgot to add the c945 pinout is 123ECB. If it would be ok for the layout to reflect this. This way I can plug the c945 in without crossing the legs. Thanks.

Re: C945

Axldeziak
Here ya go.

(edited to reverse the direction the trannies were facing.)

Re: C945

Woody
Thank you lots! I am impressed no cuts or jumpers very nice. I will give this try first thing tomorrow and post results. Thanks.

Re: C945

Axldeziak
There is one jumper, D5 to F5.

Re: C945

Woody
Thanks  I see it. A little excited long day. I am trying it now!

Re: C945

Woody
Update. First thank you for the help. It works. Lots of boost. I am running 6v to 5v. Not positve what resistors to change to bias. 6k8 4k7 to1m 100k? As  the circuit is now  it is noisy, sustaining  forever, overdrive,fuzz. I tried differnt value of volume pots. I also removed the eq circuit and put a volume contol trying to tame it. I was hoping this would be closer to a dual lpb. Then I would run an eq after that. The eq that was on it  worked but was too much with the cicuit as is. I did try that eq on my c945 lpb2 clone it  sounded nice of the few I tried  it does lower the ouput a bit but maybe not as much as the others. Thank you.

Re: C945

induction
Woody wrote
Not positve what resistors to change to bias. 6k8 4k7 to1m 100k?
Most often people will adjust the 4k7 attached to the positive rail. Sometimes people will adjust the other 4k7 as well. I recommend you temporarily replace the 4k7 attached to the positive rail with lugs 1 and 2 of a 10k pot. Then adjust the pot until you get what you like, measure the resistance between lugs 1 and 2, and use a fixed resistor that matches that value. This assumes you have DMM. People tend to have their own preferences for their favorite bias, but the usual advice is either to search for 1/2 the supply voltage, or just use your ear. Biasing hot or cold will have specific tonal impact (ripping velcro vs. harder distortion).

Woody wrote
As  the circuit is now  it is noisy, sustaining  forever, overdrive,fuzz. I tried differnt value of volume pots. I also removed the eq circuit and put a volume contol trying to tame it. I was hoping this would be closer to a dual lpb. Then I would run an eq after that. The eq that was on it  worked but was too much with the cicuit as is. I did try that eq on my c945 lpb2 clone it  sounded nice of the few I tried  it does lower the ouput a bit but maybe not as much as the others. Thank you.
This circuit is nearly identical in topology to a Fuzz Face with the Fuzz knob turned all the way up. The values of almost every component are different, so I don't know exactly how it should sound, but it's probably pretty far from two boosters in a row, if that's what you're looking for. It's not really a booster at all, much less a clean booster. It's a fuzz.

Fuzz Faces are pretty idiosyncratic, and have some best practices associated with them. The internet is full of info if you search for it. But a good start is R.G. Keen's classic article.

A few things to consider.
1. There's no power noise rejection. A battery or a well-regulated power supply is a must. It will often be too noisy to use otherwise.
2. It wants to be first in the chain. Your pickups are actually part of the Fuzz Face circuit. It will sound drastically different with a buffer or another active pedal between the guitar and the FF, or with active pickups.
3. It's really responsive to guitar volume knob, assuming it's first in the chain. This is how most people set the fuzz level, and why many FF pedals don't even include a Fuzz pot. With your guitar turned all the way up, it's filthy fuzz. Drop the guitar's volume knob even a little bit and it cleans up a lot without getting much quieter. At the lower end of the guitar's volume knob, it will be nearly clean. This effect depends on the bias. With better cleanup when the collector is at about 1/2 the supply voltage.
4. They're usually not super loud. Often they're even below unity. But this version has the output coming directly off of the collector of Q2 instead of being cut down by voltage divider between the collector and the positive rail, so I imagine it's pretty loud.

Hope this helps.

Re: C945

Woody
Induction thanks I did read abit of keen and others. I did use a 100k pot the 10 was close, I was able to dial in at 4.5 volts ,used a15k res. Very cool. I will do thi now instead of try different resisitors. If you turn the volume up a little  it is abit better, at mid single string stuff is cleanis sustain alot, full chords distort alot. At full it does repeats and other wierd things.
I agree with all you said. It does behave as you wrote. At this time I dont need a fuzz. The lovepedal and omega that I got from here seem to have that in them. I feel that this circuit has potential but not yet.when I look at the lpb2 circuit I wonder ifwhat would happen if you put two together like the  other one. Would it be fuzz to or a nice booster? Thank you

Re: C945

induction
One of the common ways to develop a distortion pedal is to chain boosts together. So if you want to develop your own distortion pedal, chaining LPBs together isn't a bad place to start. The magic is in the details: which boosts circuits, where to add clipping and what kind, where to add EQ and how to go about it, etc. This takes a lot of experimentation to get it how you want it. Fortunately, there are a kajillion existing distortion pedals that already exist and have schematics and/or layouts freely available, so you probably don't have to invent a new pedal unless you want to.

The thing is, whether you'll like it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I think we could help more if we knew what you wanted it to sound like, and what gear you're using it with.

Gear: any other pedals in the chain, clean amp settings or dirty, humbuckers or single coils etc. What volume do you play at (quiet in the bedroom/full volume on stage or in rehearsals, through a DAW, etc.)

Goal: are you looking for a clean booster, that gives you back your input signal but louder? Are you looking for distortion? Maybe a mostly clean boost with just a little dirt on it?

Let us know what you sound you want to get out of it, and I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations.

Re: C945

Woody
It is true mostly if I think of some new thing I will find it has been done before! As far as sound I like the lpb and mxr+dis together in one box. You can run them seperate or together.The way they interact is cool. I made three gifted 2 kept 1. For me what was missing was eq. I tried different passive eqs after the lpb and dod booster. I did not like the volume drop. I know an active eq would solve this but it more circuit  that I do nt want to do. I poked around the site and have found something that seems like it would have power and eq. Maybe a fat boosterd, lpb, mxr+dis together? I think this would do it? I saw the fat boosterd has eq and with 3 jfets should drive the eq nicely. I have a few homemade tube amps  and a homemade tele,  hagstom viking.They all sound good to me. Thank you learnig never stops great info

Re: C945

Woody
Final
The mx board was my first, after that I used smaller componets. The other is a lpb with 5f6a 2 pot eq, and a switch to remove the eq. There is a volume drop with the eq but still sounds nice. If you need more put on the mx. Together they work  very well and produce alot of usefull sounds.
Fx-fidden,  I made the fat boosered that you posted. I like it very nice. To me  its close to my combo in some ways. I think this will go into its own box. Thanks for  your help.
Axldeziak, after you posted yhe vero for me it got me thinking. I downloaded the diy vreo creater. I used the lpb circuit to start. After about 4 hours of playing l made my first vero. It s fun thank you for that.
Induction, thank you for your usefull information. Well I think that ends c945  post hope it helped someone. I have some more things to try abit beyond me but that is for a new post, thanks.

Re: C945

fx-fidden
Glad to have helped you.
I build pedals