CE-2 not giving chorus, but has some output

CE-2 not giving chorus, but has some output

jaredcohen
This has been a tough one for me. I've never built any type of modulation effect before. It's definitely different from the dirt circuits...

I built the "Original" CE-2 layout:

At first, I had no modulated output, and just clean output when the Vibe switch was engaged. It seems to be a common problem in the comments section, so I bought a real MN3007 from Smallbear. I popped that in today and the problem has changed. Now, When the vibe switch is on, I still get what sounds like clean signal. When the vibe switch is bypassed, I get a quieter signal that also sounds clean. If I turn the trimmer above 50%, the audio distorts or cuts out all together.

But here's where it gets really weird for me: If I press my finger to pin 1 of the intensity switch, the audio modulates for as long as my finger is there. Now, there isn't much delay to it, so I wouldn't say it sounds chorus-y, but if I tap my finger on and off that pin, I can sort of make a flanger sound.

I've checked all connections, and cut anything that could possibly be a solder bridge. It all looks good from that angle.

I don't know if this means the 3101 isn't working? So the 3007 is doing it's thing, but not getting info from the clock about when to combine the delay signal. Or since I'm not hearing delayed signal, it would seem like the LFO isn't working? I guess the point is I'm totally lost and would love some guidance if anyone has any ideas. All of the little drip voltages look really weird to me, but maybe that's what chips do in modulated effects?

Voltages for reference:

IC1:  5.12   8.82      IC2:  8.16    9.14
        5.12   5.12               9        9.03
        5.12   5.12              9.03    8.59
        0       5.12             38mv    9.03

IC3:  8.83    4.47      IC4:  8.82     0.8
        4.59    4.47              4.62     3.15
        4.41    4.65             167mv   7.76
        0.628  187mv           4.64     0.45

    Q1:     Q2:     Q3:     Q4:     Q5:
C: 8.83    8.83   8.83    7.27   9.14
B: 4.59   4.99    4.69    0.5     8.98
E: 4.18   4.43    4.24    8.5     9.12

Re: CE-2 not giving chorus, but has some output

jaredcohen
Well the good news is I think I got it working. I'm not sure how, because I did a bunch of stuff and didn't test in between. But it was probably either the TL022, or Q4/Q5, which all got replaced.

But for anyone who's built this, since the mods aren't in any CE-2 demo... The Intensity switch is INTENSE. It sounds really funky and warbly. Not something I'd consider usable for much. Just making sure that's normal.

Then also on the Vibe switch - when I go to Vibe, it really sounds more like a flanger to me. I guess what I'm hearing is more pitch changing than I'd expect. Is that how it should sound? Maybe that's what vibrato sounds like and I'm guilty of confusing vibrato and tremolo.

Re: CE-2 not giving chorus, but has some output

velouriafx
Can you share the new voltages? I had the same problem.