COLORSOUND ONE KNOB FUZZ WEIRD SOUND

peter1966
Hello!

I've just built the one knob fuzz. I've used a B500K knob instead of an A500K. I've tried many different transistors including BC108/109. The thing is that the sound is strange and it is not like the demo from the prototype or clones. I don't know if I am using the right words but the sound seems plastic. A friend of mine said that it sounds like fart. I've check everything many times but I can't find something wrong. I've also used sockets in 82R and tried different values, but higher values give worst fuzz.
Can you give me any advise???
I also have another question: the schematic in bonanza is a lot different than this schematic for the same fuzz. Which do you think is right????
Thank you in advance.....

Re: COLORSOUND ONE KNOB FUZZ WEIRD SOUND

Marbles
Hi Peter,

I have recently built it too. From what I remember, the one on the Bonanza page sounds better and I think is correct.
If it's sounds like a fart, could you check the orientation of the transistor? If my fuzzes sound like a fart, I have the transistor the other way around.

Could you otherwise post a pic of your build. We maybe can check from there why your COLORSOUND ONE KNOB FUZZ makes a WEIRD SOUND!!! ;)

Re: COLORSOUND ONE KNOB FUZZ WEIRD SOUND

peter1966
Hi and thank you for your answer,
this weekend I am going to check again. Iwill try to post a photo and maybe a video.
About the orientation of the transistors, I tried the transistors the other way around but I had no sound at all.

Re: COLORSOUND ONE KNOB FUZZ WEIRD SOUND

induction
Sounds like Q2 is misbiased (emitter voltage too low, I think). There are many method s for fixing it, but simplest would be
1. Replace the 2k2 with a 10k pot wired as a variable resistor.
2. Dial in the sound you like.
3. Remove the pot without changing the setting, and measure the resistance you landed on.
4. Replace the pot with the closest standard value resistor.
5. Rock on.

thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions and solve the problem. I didn't use a pot, but I used  sockets instead and tried many different values. Finally I think that a value of 4,7K (in place of 2,2K resistor) gives the fuzz sound that I like most.
Thanks again.