Can someone recommend the most versatile distortion here?

Can someone recommend the most versatile distortion here?

sylvanknight
 This is my first post here. I'd like to start by thanking you guys for being here. you guys make some otherwise unaccessible (monetarily speaking) pedals accessible to us DIYers and I can't thank you enough for that. I've been here reading for a month, now. I see the time and effort put in here and I just wanted to show some love. Thank you!

 Now, on with my request. I am currently nearing the end of my first build: the ROG Umble--couldn't help making it my first build after I heard the clips on here. There are lots of fuzzes--which I love-- but, are not very usable in my current band situation: a mix of thrash (mids-heavy, NON-scooped) and, at times, a lo-fi (think doom) sort of thing. Amp is an '84 JCM800 50W, with lots of "boom" from 6550's with a PRS Custom 24 tremolo. I would love to build a very versatile distortion--maybe even a distortion/fuzz hybrid (with blend control, hmmmmm?). First and foremost, the distortion. I currently only use a vintage RAT, no mods. Love the tone and the Filter control. But, I want more versatility. I do plan on building a fully-modded RAT, soon. I was just curious if you guys would have any other recommendations for a nice, boutique-y distortion. I very much respect and value the vast wealth of knowledge here, even the noobs!

Thanks, again!

Re: Can someone recommend the most versatile distortion here?

Vince
The Dr Boogie? That is a HUGE distortion. Not the sharpest/tightest but it has a massive tone.

The Krank 'Distortus Maximus'. That's a sharp/tight high gainer but I find it better with a boost as it slightly lacks that metal saturation.

For doom - The Meathead (47/100nf in/out caps) - The end!