Carlin Ring Modulator

Freppo
This post was updated on .
Here's a cool sounding Ringmod/octave up

The original needs a external oscillator connected to the B input.
With no oscillator it sounds more like a octave fuzz

But I figured that it would be much more usable with a built in oscillator.
So I made this daughterboard circuit that can be switched on/off.
It also gates the carrier signal when not playing = no carrier bleedthough! :)

More info and schematic here. I will post my finished build soon, with sound samples

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Carlin Ring Modulator

Freppo
This post was updated on .
Here's a video for anyone interested in a good ringmod effect
It's probably my least favourite kind of effect, but this one turned out cool.
It generates a low octave on some notes (listen at about 4:30)
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Carlin Ring Modulator

Jopn
2 things:

1.  Awesome job on the ring mod, I've got som BC557s sitting in my cart right now to build this :)

2. Any tips on cutting the straight line for the fader?  I'm just about to add a fader to one of my boxes and could use all the tips I can get!
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: Carlin Ring Modulator

Freppo
1. Cool! I'm glad you like it

A few things worth mentioning about the ringmod: I put a 4.7nF cap between lug 1 and 3 of the volume pot (output to ground) just to tame the highs alittle which can get harsh. The Sensitivity pot is alittle better as a log pot (but a linear is fine, that control is kinda set-and-forget anyway). The 500K trimmer sets the output of the oscillator and needs to be set very low (like a 1/5 or 1/4 turn up) for the ringmod to be at unity with the octave up side. And one last thing that might need clarification: input goes first to the daughterboard. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :)

2. I drew a straight line with a large marker pen and used a dremel to cut out the line by hand.. It's far from perfect, so no close up photos.. :) and the fader is glued in place. :P It's a plastic enclosure, so cutting out the line was easy. I think a regular aluminium enclosure would be much harder.

Cheers / Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Carlin Ring Modulator

Hozy31
Just built this and its really excellent. Great synthy sounds. Wiring was a bit of a PITA but well worth it. Nice one Freppo .
"Red velvet lines the black box"