Castledine electronics "The Wizard" tonestack

Castledine electronics "The Wizard" tonestack

traktop
This post was updated on .
I want to experiment with the tonestack of this pedal. I really like the character and dinamics, but not so much the tone control. The treble side is fine, but when you turn it anticlockwise in order to get some body, it just go low-middy, which my amp really hate.

220pf+4k7 resistor seemed to be the "treble" side network.
I was wondering if upgrading the 22nf would let more bass passing through. Or maybe 10n to 22n upgrade...?

If that don´t work, may be I will try a marshall tonestack with a LPB booster or something.
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Castledine electronics "The Wizard" tonestack

BetterOffShred
The first thing I would do certainly is to toss a 100n or 220n in that 22n spot to let you know if it's going to get fatter.  If it does, then mess with values to see what you like, but I always toss a ridiculously huge one in just to see what's possible.

And then yeah play around with the values in that high pass filter there, and try a couple different values.

Let us know, I'm planning on building this circuit sooner or later.

Re: Castledine electronics "The Wizard" tonestack

traktop
I´ve been messing with the tone stack a little. Didn´t try it on my dr-103 yet, (just on a fender 1watt little amp), but this is what I found:
First of all, this seemed to be a  tweaked original laney supergroup amp tonestack. The treble side is more or less the same, (bright cap a little bit lower), and a 100k treble pot instead the original 250k. The bass cap network would have like infinite resistance and mid control goes all the way to ground, (like mid pot at zero I guess). I´ve been messing with the tone stack calculator comparing the laney tonestack vs an aproximation of the pedal tonestack with all controls at noon, (I used a linear pot instead of a logarithmic for the wizard treble pot) and this is what I found:

The scoop curve is the pedal tonestack and the other is the original laney. As we can see, the scoop frequency on the wizard doubles the original one, (800kz vs 2000khz), leaving a lot of what I consider  ugly "paper board" mid frequencies.
If we upgrade the "mid" cap to 22n, (like on the original laney tonestack), the scoop frequency goes down a little, cutting some of the ugly low mids, and getting a more pleasant tone on my 1watt amp.
We can go further with this, (up to 56n cap), where where we can even match the original mid frequency, but the scoop goes like 12 dbs deeper...
Anyway, I upgraded the bass cap up to 470n and noticed no bass increasing... Looking at the tone stack calculator, the 22n cap gave a boost around 60/90 hz, so maybe the circuit just don´t have more bass to show.
I will check it out tomorrow on my big amp, and see what I get.

Re: Castledine electronics "The Wizard" tonestack

JSquires820
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.