Changing potentiometer taper...?

alex.s
I'm sure I've seen this somewhere so I apologise if it was on these pages and I'm effectively double posting.

I know there is a way of changing the taper (and I'm pretty sure value at the same time) of a potentiometer by adding a resistor of the right value between the relevant lugs. The whole concept would most likely rotate around the relation of resistors in parallel, so I guess adding a resistor which is larger or smaller than the pot value decides the resulting taper? Does anyone have a quick explanation or link to somewhere which explains how to do this?

I've been looking at a few builds which feature the odd rev log pot and being able to "make" them out of pots I might already have among my parts would be very convenient.

Thanks a lot and sorry if this was discussed here previously!

Re: Changing potentiometer taper...?

Jon Rep
Alex,

Its been mentioned under the post heading "Why use anything but linear pots?" by smoss469 and the following link by PStevenson in that post will help you.  Regards Jon Rep. Hope this helps.

http://www.paulinthelab.com/2012/07/linear-log-etc-potentiometer-conversion.html

Re: Changing potentiometer taper...?

dexxyy
You could also have a read at This and some help with the math Here
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Changing potentiometer taper...?

alex.s
That's great guys, and sorry for the repetition.

Just one quick question about the Tapered pot calculator Dexxy posted: apart from the pot's own and the desired value, you are asked to enter a taper percentage. How does that work? Is it the pot's mid point value? Sorry if this is a very stupid question!