Checking if I have a bad pot

blorvak
Hey guys!

I suspect I have a bad drive pot in the Red Llama I built.

Using the multimeter, I get a resistance reading on the Volume pot between lugs 1 and 3, and 1 and 2. For the Drive pot, I get a reading between 1 and 3, but get a reading of zero between 1 and 2.

Is this a valid way of diagnosing if a pot is bad?

Re: Checking if I have a bad pot

blorvak wrote
Hey guys!

I suspect I have a bad drive pot in the Red Llama I built.

Using the multimeter, I get a resistance reading on the Volume pot between lugs 1 and 3, and 1 and 2. For the Drive pot, I get a reading between 1 and 3, but get a reading of zero between 1 and 2.

Is this a valid way of diagnosing if a pot is bad?
Depends on the setting of the pot. If it's turned counter clockwise, there is no resistance between 1 and 2, if it is turned clockwise, there is no resistance between 2 and 3

If there is no resistance between 1 and 2 regardless of the setting, then the pot is broken

Re: Checking if I have a bad pot

blorvak
Thanks!

I took several readings with the pot in different positions. So the pot is broken!

I was curious if having the pots hooked up to the circuit would change things. I didn't think so, but I am new at this...

It can depending on how the circuit is wired

Re: Checking if I have a bad pot

blorvak
I'll snip it off and check again.